Graves Disease and Sport - so frustrated!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi team,

I was diagnosed with Graves at the end of April after feeling unwell for an extended, indefinate time - I put it down to any combination of Hashimotos (which I was diagnosed with 10yrs ago) and PCOS. I am on treatment and am starting to feel better - but my heart still troubles me.

I love working out. I do Ironman (1.9km swim, 180km cycle, 42km run) and enjoy being out on my bike or running or swimming. We also lift weights regularly as well as yoga. I ride horses and am generally a very active person. We have a TV, but it has no antenna. Thats how much we use it. My resting HR used to be 42ish. It is now about double that (having come down from 120bpm).

I know every one is individual, but I am hoping to hear some personal stories about getting back to a normal HR and exercising vigorously again. I am so incredibly frustrated at this whole experience that this mornings workout ended in tears. I have an incredible husband who is very supportive and who constantly tells me that I will get better and does everything he can - but at the start of this year I had some goals, some PBs in Ironman, ultramarathons and entering an Ultraman (double Ironman). Now, I have gained weight, lost my appetite (REALLY weird for Hyper), lost strength and cant run 5km, let alone 84km. Being physically capable is a big part of who I am, and it really drags me down to see that slipping away.

I still get out there and do as much as I can - I do everything with my heart rate moniter so as to not over do it. I just want to feel good again!! (I saw this was a common theme on this forum!!)

-- my levels improved in the first month - initially on 40mg of carb but that was reduced to 20mg after my first month consult. I am on this level until the end of this month when my next consult is. I have also been using a herbal tincture with motherwort, lemon balm etc. with some improvement.--

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi michelle21551, like you I was fit and active before being diagnosed with Graves disease. While hyperthyroid I was not able to do everyday chores, let alone being physically active. I had to take Carbimazole for nearly two years and am off medication since Sept 2017.

At the moment I am doing ok. I try to stay active, swim once a week, and play tennis two times a week. I try to go to the gym once a week.

While it is difficult to (temporarily) let go of a lifestyle that you are used to, I would recommend that you slightly change your approach to staying active. Prolonged aerobic exercise increases your metabolism, drives up the output of your thyroid and your heart rate.   

Here are some changes that I did:

1) Reduce duration and intensity of aerobic exercise, for example by, riding a bike at leisurely speed,  swimming slowly and resting after a few lanes, setting ellipticals or rowing machine to a low intensity.

2) Take up sports that don't require extreme stamina like tennis or badminton.

3) Reduce weights when using machines at the gym. 

4) Spend more time on gentle stretches to keep your muscles supple. 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice danR - the problem is I am also gaining weight rapidly. 4kg in a few months :-/ I have lost most of my appetite,cut back on my calories etc. joys of :-/
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I was diagnosed with graves in 2011. I am on medication, i mostly feel ok but there are these days or weeks where I feel like i am not myself anymore.

I am frustrated too at the moment. I do crossfit and at the moment I am struggling. It is summer it is hot and this makes me even weaker. My muscles are not working how I want them to work and i can't catch my breath. I have this week the first qualification to a competion, i hope i can do my best.

But I also know that these periods are passing by and the more I work on myself these days the less they keep, so even if you are frustrated just do it, don't give up. It will pass.

Ps. And I am always hungry smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.