Graves disease, B12 deficiant and 30 weeks pregnant

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, my daughter hasĀ Graves disease, B12 deficiant and 30 weeks pregnant and trying to work full time, is there any supplements that anyone knows of to help her through the final weeks of work and preganancy, she is falling asleep all the time but restless as well through the night, she is having b12 injections and her thyroid is being closely monitored as she has tested positive for antibodies, just want something safe in pregnancy to give her the extra boost she needs, all feedback very very welcome smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi susan62, as your daughter is pregnant it is best to be extra careful and ask the doctor first even when considering taking supplements and/or vitamins.

As such the only thing I can suggest is to eat plenty of food classed as goitrogenic (meaning lowering the thyroid output) including cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, spring greens, as well as spinach and also strawberries and peaches. It's best to search the net for this goitrogenic food. 

Since she is (I am assuming) hyperthyroid her metabolism is running higher than normal. She should eat a diet that provides enough proteins and besides plenty of vegetables and fruits includes nuts like almonds and Brazil nuts.   Best wishes for the mother and the baby. 

• Posted

Hi susan62065

Has your daughter had her iron and ferratin levels checked as iron can get very low during pregnancyand cause extreme fatigue.....this happened to my daughter and she had to have an iron infusion at the hospital....get her checked just in case...best wishes.....

• Posted

Thank you for your replies i appreciate them , she is also low on vitamin d i missed that off the list, she is exhausted all the time and trying to work 13 hour shifts on a busy hospital ward, i will ask her endo to check her iron and ferratin levels too as this could account for her lethergy, feel so bad for her sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.