Graves’ disease block and replace method

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with Graves’ disease 15 months ago and have been put on the block and replace method at a level of 125mg of Levo per day but I always felt I was too high due to having heart palps constantly, brain fog etc and feeling generally anxious but the endo said for me to continue to take the 125mg as I was in the normal range......until 5 weeks ago, I had a blood test and he said I was at the high end of normal and I could come down to 100mg of Levo per day. This was music to my ears.  He asked had anything changed in my life over the past 3 months for this too happen and I said I gave up smoking.  He said this might have had an influence.   I reduced to 100mcg 5 weeks ago and I’m all over the place.  I’m not complaining that much as I’m not as anxious as what I was like at 125mg which is good but I’m still very hyper than hypo.  My heart palps have calmed in general but I do have a rush once a day where my heart starts racing and I have very bad brain fog.  Also I can go from very calm to very anxious or irritated or angry or very sad.  Is this normal on a decrease?  Have anyone decreased via a block and replace method and did you experience similar things and if so how long did it last please as I feel like a right mess. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I can't respond to the block and replace question but I wondered what was the cause of your hyperthyroidism?  Did any traumatic events precede your hyperthyroidism?

• Posted

Hi Linda, I have Graves’ disease.
  • Posted

Hi James

I suffer from hyperthyroidism and Graves disease with double vision and am also on a block and replace regime which I started in January 2018. 

My dosage is 3 x 20 mg of Carbimazole and 25 mcg Levothyroxine daily all of which I take first thing in the morning.  Obviously people can be at different stages in the control of their thyroid problem and I am now slightly under the normal range so this is why I am taking a combination of medication.   Even so I do still have the occasional 'brain fog' and plenty of bursts of overheating but no palpitations.  Now I'm no longer off the scale hyper as I was in Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec 2017 mood swings are not an issue.  In short I feel lots better although the double vision is certainly an ongoing problem.

I am not an expert on this subject and I can only say how this has affected me.  I just hope you feel lots better soon and that this helps.

Rosie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.