Graves disease diagnosed today

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Well I'm glad they at least figured it out. At this time my eyes seem normal and I'm currently on 10mg of meth 2x. Since I've started the medication is it safe to say I'm okay on that front? 

Also, coffee, caffeine okay? I have kids and need that energy boost in the AM. No gym, not that I'm a beast but have been making some gains this year and now it seems it could all be for nothing.

Any success stories by simply taking methimazole? Hoping to feel better soon.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Methimazole stopped the excessive thyroid hormone but did nothing to lower my antibodies or raise my TSH for 2 years.  Then I learned about helpful supplements like vitamin D, Magnesium and carnitines and added them to my meds, took everything at the same time and then my doc was able to lower my dosage by small amounts frequently.  Diagnosed in 2007 and Since April of this year I have not been on meds.  Was on a very low dose (2.5 mg every 3 or 4 days for a long time).  My doc told me earlier I could stop it but I was afraid to until this year.  All labs look fine now.
    • Posted

I ordered high absorption magnesium w/ vitamin D today off of Amazon. What is the carnitines, any good product you can recommend?
    • Posted

I had read a research article in an Endocrine medical magazine about a study that showed that hyperthyroid patients benefit from taking 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine per day.  I started on 3,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine and my TSH rose from less than 0.001 to 0.12.  Still not in range but headed in the right direction.  I then experimented with different types of carnitines and took 1,000 mg of the Regular L-Carnitine and 1,000 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  Regular carnitine has a lot of carnitine and a little bit of Acetyl in it and Acetyl has just the opposite - a lot of Acetyl and a little bit of carnitine in it.  Carnitine helps with muscle pain and also helps lower excessive thyroid hormone.  The Acetyl crosses the blood-brain barrier and takes whatever else you are taking across the blood brain barrier too.  So my TSH finally rose into the normal range when I did that.  The Acetyl was not part of the research, just my experiment and i would caution anyone who tried it to know that if you use it, you need frequent monitoring and adjustments of both your meds dosage (I let my doc do that) and your carnitine dose or you will go very hypo very fast.  I have used several types of brands of carnitines and they all worked well. Aside from the beginning when i was taking 3,000 mg of Regular, which I took it in liquid form, but once it was reduced to 1000 mg I took it in capsule form.
  • Posted

How's your heart rate? Honestly, I would stay away from caffeine and the gym until you get your next T4/T3 labs. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to use up your hormones and your levels might not be in range for another month. Hopefully, you can end up staying on a relatively low dose and eventually come off.

• Posted

Caffeine won't interfere with your labs. Since it's a stimulant and you're hyper it might make your symptoms worse. It can increase your heart rate, blood pressure and make you heart palpitations worse (if you're having any). The reason I said wait for your labs is to see whether your hormones are in normal range and maybe then resume drinking coffee. You should ask your doctor.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up