GRAVES - STERIOD USE WITH RADIOACTIVE IODINE

Posted , 6 users are following.

I HAVE HAD GRAVES DISEASE FOR 3 YEARS, AFTER TAKING CARBIMAZOLE AND THYROXINE FOR THIS TIME I HAVE NOW BEEN TAKEN OFF ALL MEDICINE, I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM MY FIRST VISIT 6 WEEKS AFTER COMING OFF MEDS, MY LEVELS ARE ALREADY TOP END - I EXPECT FROM HOW I AM FEELING THAT MY THYROID WILL START TO BECOME OVERACTIVE AGAIN, (WAS IT ALL A WASTE OF TIME) I HAVE BEEN TOLD NOW MY CHOICE WILL BE TO TAKE THE RADIOACTIVE IODINE METHOD AND STERIODS AS I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH MY EYES, HAS ANYONE OPTED FOR SURGERY OVER THIS METHOD, IF SO WHY OR HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS WITH THE RADIOACTIVE IODINE - I HAVE HEARD THE PROBLEM COMMONLY RETURNS A FEW YEARS LATER.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Lisa

i had graves disease diognosed in 2000, since that time i had the meds to regulate my condiion, then a short break which sent my levels sky high just like yourself. I did opt for the radioactive route with steriods as i was advised this could possibly regulate my condition and really worth a go. It didnt work for me and i have since had a thyroidectamy. Since having the operation (4 years ago ) i can honestly say it was the best thing i could have done. I am now on thyroxine for the rest of my life but i at least dont have any symptoms of graves disease. I would advice for you to at least try the radioactive route it may work for you.[img] :D [/img][/b]

• Posted

dear.

i'll take the radio iodine treatment.i asked about the surgery but it might damage your vocal cords.i know a woman who had this surgery and her voice is quite squeky now.

i,m not so convinced with the radio treatment but i think it's the best soluition.even if u have the disease after few years,better than having it all the time.you can go later for other supplements.

all the best and wish me the same please,because my treatment is on the 23rd.

• Posted

Hi

I wish you all the best for your treatment on 23rd.

Lizzy

• Posted

i had grave's too i was told by my gp to have the radio iodine treatment you should read up on this first before you decide to do it there are alot of side affects to it to i had it with out looking into it first within 4 weeks i was so underactive i was close to going into a coma my levels were so low i regret having it i was alot better having graves than underactive i dont wish to put you off im just saying read up on it there is a site on the net telling both side's to the treatment shaaron
    • Posted

Hi Sharon. Thankyou for your post. I'm at the beginning of my treatment and I feel that before too long the dr will want me to have the radio iodine treatment. I don't want to end up hypo for the rest of my life. It just seems like the drs prefer hypo because it appears easier to treat than hyper.  

I'm determined to try it naturally and if my confirmed diagnosis is graves. I am going to take the tablets but I will also focus on treating my immune system and see if I can get well naturally. I will keep  notes and if successful will write a book and articles to let everyone know another way. There are natural treatments already in place and that's the direction I'm headed before invasive methods. 

• Posted

thx lizzy and sharon

actually i feel much better since two month.my symptoms disappeared as a sudden.i,m worried that they are going to give me the treatment without any furthur blood tests ,,,which most probably will happen.don't know what to do.they said i might become underactive and that the suppliment will repalce the lack of thyroid in my body.i,m confuuuuuuuuuused

• Posted

Hi

I was one week away from having my radioiodine treatment which i was petrified about so i went back to my GP and he requested more bloods they came back 2 days before i was due to have the treatment they were normal but also they had been normal for 3 months by then with no medication and nobody had told me!!!!!!!!!!!

So i asked my GP if i could cancel the treatment he could't see why not so i did.I really didn't want to go underactive as i suffer from Lupus that makes me sleep a lot already.

I am now coming to the end of my 9 month of normal results am due a test any time now and am panicing a little as i have a feeling they might be slightly raised.

I don't have graves disease so its different for me.

All i say is ask questions so you can make an informed choice.

Lizzy

• Posted

i didnt have a blood test i wished that i had and that i understood all the things about graves because id sooner have graves than underactive anyday it was hard being hot all the time well its worse feeling the cold at least i could cool down fast now i cant keep warm in the day you can laugh at this but iv been wearing thermals even in the summer lol.

as to the heart rate i learnt to cope with that too i had trouble getting up stairs but the beata blokers did help i found calmers helped too it was so much better for me to be active than slugish like i am now iv even had to change my job i was a area manager for shops but it took it out of me so now i work in a office sat down all day i do love my job now because it suits me now im washed out lol joking aside i hate this illness and doctors dont say to much about it so we second guess thing ask or tell your dr you want a blood test and do you really need the radioiodine did you look on the net at the site which tells you all about the treatment and the side affects im not trying to put you off it just be aware of it it may work for others but it didnt help me shaaron

• Posted

hello everyone.

thanks for the support you give me throught this chat.

actually i thought about having another blood test but not through my gp.i,ll pay for one and see.i hate being hot but i don,t want to feel cold even in the summer!the thing i most hate is my muscles they are week and tender for my age.i,m not toned at all .i,m worried about having eye disease.i read alot about the disease,i know the side effects and the complications.

thanks again for your comments.i'll inform you with my results once i do them.

i wish you all the best,hope it doesn't affect you life in a bad way.

regards[/b]

• Posted

I've got Graves - diagnosed 10 weeks ago. I've made an appointment with an optician who knows all about Graves and has special equipment that can see the whole eye, blood vessels etc. and see any disease and extent of damage. Not told to do this by consultant but thought I'd see what the optician finds. I'm on Carbimazole 15mg a day and doctor is talking about iodine treatment. I'd like to see how drugs do first. My heart continues to race but allergic to 3 different beta blockers so have to try and breathe through panicky feel. My legs weak and have got no energy - I'm usually fit and always on the go.

I hate having hyperthyroidism and not coping very well with it. Trying to remain positive but hard.

Kay

• Posted

hi kay.

i always felt weakness in my muscles(legs and arms).heart race was non stop, but 2 month ago all these symptoms stopped.i don,t know is it becasue i followed a special diet and easy exercise ,or because of herbal medicine i took then the comsultant made me stop it!.

i can tell u that i eat nowadays alot of brocoli,sprout,soya milk,so little caffiene either( coffe,tea,cola).irarely drink alccohole nowadays.

i learnt about this diet from the net.if you surf you might find something which suits u.try to go back to exercise eeven 5 minutes a day.my iodine treatment on the 23rd, but i feel so well to take it.i paid for blood test yesterday ,hopefully my results changed .

wish you all the best

• Posted

Hi

Thats interesting about diet my GP told me thats why mine had gone back to normal.

My diet changed a great deal i went from eating quite a lot of chocolate, 4 cups of coffee, crisps etc to just bite size shredded wheat with no milk, plums 5 or 6 a day, one biscuit at 10am, sandwich at lunch and a light meal at tea time with plenty of broccoli and carrots and a very small portion of potatos, no coffee and just water not been a big alcohol drinker.

I did no research thats what my body told me i needed to eat it was like being pregnant again with the cravings.

Good luck with your results. Out of interest how did you go about having a private blood test?

Lizzy

• Posted

hi there.

so good diet works well.good for you and i wish the same for kay

i had my results.here i,ll write them may be some one can tell me .tsh was a bit below normal:0.18.....0.27-4.20

t4 :92.....59-154

t3:4.9.....4.0-6.8

free thyroxine:13.5....12.0-22.0

antibodies:0.9.........0-4.9

i went to a private clinic and asked for thyroid blood tests.

thax.wish me luck

• Posted

Hi

I hope all goes well when you go and chat about radio iodine and that they give you enough information so that you can make an informative choice.

Take care.

Lizzy

• Posted

hi lizy and every one.

hi kay hope you feel better nowadays!

unfortunately i called the consultant who transfered me to have the radio treatment but he insists my results haven't improved,i mentioned that they are all within normal!!!!!!!!!!.i called also another lab doctor to take his advice and he said i should have had a scan too...which the hospital or my gp didn't ask for!

i,m going on the 23rd anyway.i,m paniced and upset but to be frank with you i didn't feel well today.my eyes were so sensitive and irriated .they really annoyed me.i don't want them to bulge that's why i decided to take the treatment.

but still i believe that the doctors keep presuming and giving unclear and insufficient information.so in case anything wrongs happen to me later i,m going to sue everyone examined me.they didn't scan my gland ,didn't try to put me on any drugs ,and decided immediately that i should have the radio.

best wishes for all of you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.