Greenlight surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I just had my Greenlight surgery today. All went well and came home. Said was pretty blocked up. Have no pain and will have the cath removed on Monday. Hope I can pee on my own again. Been so long It is hard to remember. Not supposed to drive or do anything for awhile. He made that very clear. The hospital here in Pa has really nurses. Two emergency hospital stays and today's surgery I have nothing but nice things to say about the nurses. Seasoned and new ones. They make it all much easier.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Back in August I was hospitalized with severe sepsis from a UTI. Could not pee. Started self cath 3 times a day. Did that for 6 weeks no problem. Urologist did a scope of the prostate and bladder and the prostate was all but closed off. I seen it myself on the monitor. A week and a half ago I had a hard time cathing and had blood and some whitish discharge and pain. I went to the ER and I had a serious bladder infection. Lots of blood. The nurse put a 22fr irrigating catheter in me. Hurt like hell. I was using 14's at home. Said right before she put it in it was a little bigger. Two days in hospital on IV and antibiotic drip it cleared up. Urologist recommended the Greenlight. Hope We made the right choice. Time will tell. The catheter I have in now is a 20 was put in while I was under. Lot more flexible. Nurse helped me get it placed better for retainer so won't be pulling on penis while wearing leg bag so much. Hated the other one. Was trying to work construction with it and it made me sore.

Under orders to not do nothing. Spend some time relaxing for a change. Customer I was working for is real understanding and told me to listen to Dr

Go to urologist on Monday to have catheter removed. Got box of depends liners just in Case my bladder forgot how to close the valve. Wish I could install a ball valve on it like the leg bag has

• Posted

Clean the area where the catheter enters your penis with a solution of 50% water and 50% peroxide several times a day, and keep the area covered with a petroleum jelly based antibiotic, like over the counter Neosporin. Use a cotton swab (Q Tip) for the cleaning and applications. You will be much more comfortable doing these things.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Neal,

Is it hydrogen peroxide? What %age solution?

• Posted

Yes, it is a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. It is available over the counter here in the states in any drugstore.

Unlike a woman's vagina, the tube carrying urine and seminal fluid in a man's penis, the urethra, has no natural lubrication, so when a doctor leaves a catheter in there, and it moves about, as you move about, the urethra gets abraided. It then bleeds. The blood dries, and the dried blood causes more abrasion, etc. etc.

The peroxide cleans the area, and the Neosporin provides sterile lubrication, and helps heal the existing abrasions.

Neal

• Posted

Hi Neal

I have a catheter for last 5 months. This is the second one in. First one was there for 3 months, and URO took it out to test if I can pee. I tried for 5 hours, could not so a new catheter was put in. A novice tried to insert it giving me a lot of pain and bleeding then finally to my relief, an experienced nurse eased it in. Two days later, my right testicle started swelling due to UTI. Uro prescribed Cipro and it took 4 weeks to cure it.

So, my second catheter is in for 2 months. Sometimes, while walking catheter abrades the urethra and blood oozes out of urethra around the catheter for a day or two. I am waiting for Laser TURP surgery, and am hoping it will rid me of catheter.

• Posted

You need to look on this site for self catheterization (CIC). You will be on a Foley catheter for the rest of your life if you don't get the Foley out and put your bladder back to work . The self cathing will allow you to do that. Also, PLEASE look at the alternatives to TURP on this site, PAE, and Urolift, before you commit to TURP, TURP frequently has awful side effects, erection dysfunction, incontinence, retrograde ejaculation, etc. You can always do a TURP if the PAE, OR Urolift don't work, but the side effects of TURP are with you forever.

Neal

• Posted

I agree with Neal. Learn self catherization NK. It is so much better than the Foley catheter. Pain free, quick, and very easy.

John

• Posted

I just had the Greenlight a week ago and 2 days ago they took out the catheter and I am doing fine. One slight accident the first day but that I have the depends guards for. I have had no pain at all. A little blood the first day and now nothing. Woke up yesterday with a woody. Now I won't have any more infections that sent me to the hospital twice in 2 months.

My urologist has done about 1000 green lights,

Good luck

• Posted

Clarion, Pa. That is in western Pa at exit 62 off of interstate 80.

His name is Anthony Golio and is associated with the Clarion hospital

• Posted

Hi Vaughn, Thanks for that info. I wish you were closer to me,im near Chicago. Did you have a hospital stay after surgery?\Thanks,
    • Posted

Hi I have also gave a catheter in me 5 months,still taken medicine ,as i have urine rentention. I was told it takes 6 months for the medicine Avordat,  to start to work,{shrink the size of prostate}? Have you been taken medicine also. Have you checked into the GL PVP Laser ,I understand this is done as an out patient, and less invasive.
  • Posted

Best wishes Vaughn. Thanks for sharing your experience. Please keep us posted as you recover.

John

• Posted

I hope you make the right decision.  That's all I have to say  Ken

• Posted

Ken, you are a doom merchant:-) He will be fine after it as I was.

• Posted

Just because yours was fine does not mean his will be.  You never know until it is down how it will turn out.  Ken  You know that.  Anything thing we have done you never know look at all the turp that have gone wrong...Ken
    • Posted

Its very strange, your obsession with this forum.    Please either say something useful or go away.
    • Posted

I'm telling you my opioion which I have a right to.  You can have any procedure you want just make sure your sure.  Because not all work  Have a good day  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.