Greenlight surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I just had my Greenlight surgery today. All went well and came home. Said was pretty blocked up. Have no pain and will have the cath removed on Monday. Hope I can pee on my own again. Been so long It is hard to remember. Not supposed to drive or do anything for awhile. He made that very clear. The hospital here in Pa has really nurses. Two emergency hospital stays and today's surgery I have nothing but nice things to say about the nurses. Seasoned and new ones. They make it all much easier.

1 like, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Vaughn,

I just spoke to someone who had Greenlight in Australia, he is very happy with outcome. He said there was some blood and catheter for a week or two after. He said after catheter out he had incontenence for a few days and he was worried they had botched the surgery, and he thinks by doing Kegel excercises it cured him of that problem. He had BPH for about 2 years. If you had BPH for much longer bear in mind the bladder has to readjust or "learn" the new reality.

• Posted

I had BPH for ten years but after GL PVP my catherter was out in the morning and life was really back to normal on day three.
    • Posted

Hi Derek, Thats great news. I am also thinking havung GLPVP. I was told by one urologist i was to old for surgery? I'm 87, How are  you Derek?

• Posted

Congratulations!

I also had Greenlight procedure and I had a very good result.  Never had any pain at all. Stream was good right after the catheter was removed (that was a little gnarly :-)).  Had a little infection for a couple days that antibiotics took care of.

I was VERY careful and did EXACTLY what my doctor said.

Last Thursday was a month and the doctor took me off Flomax and Proscar and asked me to return in 3 months for a follow up.

I've had an excellent experience and wish I had done it sooner.

Other folks may have different results but my experience (at least so far) has been very good.

Good luck.

• Posted

Many who have asked questions here don't return with their good results.

• Posted

2 days post Greenlight surgery and absolutely no pain. The worst part of the whole thing is when the nurse took off the tape holding in the IV.

I get the catheter out Monday. Haven't peed normal for 2 months.

• Posted

Hi Clifford, Where did you have this done? Did you have a very large prostate?Did you have urine rentention before surgery? Thanks for all this info. I'm

almost 87 Years of age with rentention.Still don;t know if i want the uro lift? I don't know if this is better than the GL? Nice to hear yours went well. This uro lift is still rather new .TheGL laser has been around for a long time.Where did you have this done?

thanks for all the info

• Posted

I had the GL procedure at Holland Hospital in Holland Michigan, USA by a doctor in "Western Michigan Urological Associates". I am 73 years old and in decent (not awesome) health. I always have a physical exam every year so my family doctor noticed my prostate getting larger with time.  I never went into retension but my stream was getting weak and I was up 4 or 5 times a night.

He prescribed Proscar and Flomax and it helped for a few years (don't remember how long). It eventuall got worse and he referred me to a Urology group that his patients had very good experiences with.

After examining me they explained the several options to me with any pros and cons and asked me to decide which I was most comfortable with.  They, of course, answered any questions I had about any of them.  I don't remember all the options. I was never rushed and was treated with utmost care and respect.

I decided (with them) on GL procedure and have (so far - 5 weeks) been vary satisfied.  For me at least, it has been a reasonably good experience and I would recommend it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Posted

That is the typical experience but most with success stories don't post here afterwards. How big was your prostate? Was it the latest XLS GL that they used?

• Posted

They did not give me a measurement and I didn't know to ask.

?What they did do is put some kind of camera device up there to see exactly what they were dealing with before the procedure. They displayed it on a screen so I could see it too. My prostate was so large that it was surprising that any urine got through.  It also showed the bladder stones. The display scale made them look the size of hens eggs. The doctor said they were more like robins eggs or smaller.

?They did make a point of telling me they were using the latest version of GL.  I don't remember exactly what they called it because it didn't mean anything to me.

• Posted

Clifford Im glad you are doing well  You said that you were not in a rush.  At 73 was retro orgasm a factor or it did not matter.  At 61  I still enjoy my ejaculation.  Was on flomax and rapidflow and do not like the dry orgasm.  I hope you more improvement   Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

The first Uro I went when I did not know the questions to ask volunteered that it was 35grns. Later ones all did the same as the size went up year by year but by then I knew the questions to ask them.

After when I had a trans rectal ultrasound (TRUS) I asked for a copy but to me it might have been twins it. My wife an ex maternity nurse assured me it was not.

I presume that the latest version of GL is the third as the second one was out over six years agp. 

• Posted

Hi Clifford, Thanks for that info. Did you have Hospital stay right after surgery??

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Clifford< Thanks very much for that info.I  have been having a hard time making a decision. GL or Uro Lift. Since both of these procedures present problems,at 87 years  i almost feel like i want to go with the older procedure.

How can you tell if the urologist has done a lot of these procefures.

Was your procedure a outpatient,or did you have a hospital stay??

• Posted

I did not stay in the hospital. I went home with a Foley catheter in place

With instructions for removing in 2 days.

• Posted

Frank can I ask you something.  Why at 87 would you what to put yourself through a surgery (  GL ) When the procedure would help you just the same.  I think at 87 year old it would be to rough on your body.  I would never put my father through it......Good Luck  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken, I have BGBS medicare advantage Plan HMO. The worst plan i ever had. I was told they have 3 urologists that do the Uro Lift in my network ,as i can only go to doctors in my network. These 3 urologists just started doing this procedure Uro Lift. I 'm not comfortable  with this, so my next choice was the GL PVP. Never take a HMO plan ,it sucks???

• Posted

Frank  I would go and check them ou  I would not go through surgery at your age you gcood get worse.  It know harm taking with them  Please gve them a chance  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.