Groin and strong thigh pain after 6 yrs,any ideas

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have groin pain which is almost constantly there which has got worse over the last 2 months or so,,there is pain when I try to raise my leg,struggle to put my socks and shoes on and this is after 6 yrs post full hip replacement . Also in the last month or so I have occasionally had a strong pain which comes from the groin area and I can feel travel down my thigh which feels like the pain is in the bone , not muscle, and tends to stop at my knee. I find I have to lie on the floor and roll from side to side and take deep breaths as daft as that sounds and the pain eventually goes after about 10 minutes . Has anyone got any advise or know what is causing this, I contacted my GP yesterday and I am waiting to see if I am to have a x-ray.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

I have solved a similar pain by visiting my chiropractor. Cheers, Richard

• Edited

hi I am 10 weeks after my hip replacement and I get that pain from my groin to knee but it come and goes

• Edited

quite normal after only 10 weeks,

if its still like it after 8 month. check it out.

• Posted

I don't have a solution sorry, but i also get mild groin pain. My surgery was 2 years ago. I also wonder if something is wrong

• Posted

i also have groin pain. i had my hip replacement 3 years ago. i first noticed the groin pain a year ago. it does come and go, but lately it has got more persistant recently, particularly when i walk

• Edited

ask for a MARS scan. after 4 years of groin pain worse than before my hip replacement.

x-rays , MRI. my surgeon gave me a MARS scan. result.i have a mass, tumour that has to come out, waiting for my operation date, delayed due to the Covid-19.

its worth a try. good luck

• Posted

Hi.

I had both hips replaced 5 years ago and 4 years ago. And I get the same pain like what you have said.I've had x -rays physio physio can't do any more. I've been for bone scan they say I now have chronic osteoarthritis and chronic muscle problem. Please make ask for bone scan.

• Edited

I had that from post 6 weeks of surgery to 24 February 2020 (almost 7 years) I was palmed off with

periods issues

menapause

HRT

Bursitus

back issues

I asked for 2nd opinion and this turned out to be the surgeon who referred me to another surgeon (his friend) I went private for a 3rd opinion and was told that I had an low grade infection. which appears from my records has been there a while.

I would ask for a crp blood test and see if your levels are high....mine were just borderline.

then ask for a referral for xray then MRI and CT if the hip has failed it could be infection or cement has come loose.

try doing some hip Flexion Supine exercises this will hurt the groin for a bit but should help with stretching it out without impact.

just so you know I'm 9 weeks post 1 stage hip revision for infection and feel so much better.

I still have pain in my back but the yucky feeling groin thigh and knee pain is so much better.

• Edited

If you can't immediately get a professional opinion, check sasksurgery.ca. On that site is a brief back/leg course for GPs with clear simple guides to diagnosis and what you can do. It is illustrated and has flow charts which lead to diagnosis and appropriate steps. 82 pages.

Myself, i have problems one year after. I dont know if or when i will get back to my surgeon in naples fl. 1200 miles , no planes and right now US isnt letting foreigners in. Antigua is not a place for orthopedes, so I am my own doctor, and that Canadian course is the best i have come up with. Good luck.

• Edited

The fact that you can fix the pain by that movement may mean a nerve is getting trapped somewhere or there is movement in the hip end of your replacement. Do the checks in my other post.

You will see reading the sask course, diagnosis is difficult because pain you feel can be far from the site causing it.

• Posted

A couple of years after hip surgery I had got out of bed with so much pain in my groin and hip and down my keg of the hip replacement side that I could hardly stand up let alone walk. A chiropractor had me back to normal in one appointment.

If you cannot get to an appointment at the moment due to the lock down look up pressure points as you may be able to sort it out yourself or at least go part way to fixing it. It is a very useful technique to be able to use!

Cheers, Richard.

• Posted

I get the same especially first thing in the morning take pain killers and soon up and about but left knee is swallowed and very painful this started last October went to doc as it come on after 3 days at Frankfurt car show so doc said arthritis another said come back after hip replacement but due to all the exercises the knee is not happy so as soon as possible going to getting an exray

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.