Groin pain after THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I had my left hip replaced 4 weeks ago after having my right hip replaced a year ago. I had very little pain with my right hip replacement and couldn't wait to get my left one sorted.

However, I'm 4 weeks in and experiencing sharp groin pain particularly when walking. I'm also getting pain in my calf which I am presuming is related to hip but unsure.

Has anyone else experienced this.

Thank you

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi i don't know from experience as such but i would suggest if its quite bad you phone and ask the question to your GP

not trying to scare you but the calf pain needs an answer from someone in the know will be better to advise you.

Not everyone is the same so i wish you all the best, let us know how you are doing and i think that you are amazing with so much possitivity

• Posted

Despite my three hip operations now, groin pain is (so far) the one thing I have not experienced. I did seem to notice that more Anterior approach patients seem to get it than Posterior approach patients, what approach was your latest THR?

• Posted

HI sharon

i had groin pain for some months afterwards it does go so dont worry. however calf pain could be a sign of a clot so dont delay get it checked best to be safe. i had clot on my lung with no prior warning.

let us know what happens

keep moving and tsking the pills!

julie

• Posted

hi I had my left hip replaced 9 weeks ago and still experiencing some pain in my groin at times. It is also still painful to walk on it at times. I get sciatica like pain in my knee and ankle as well. I mentioned this at post op and he said that he had done 2000 hip replacements and no two were ever alike. So it's just a waiting game for me. This is my 2nd hip done and never had any probs with the 1st. Hope you get sorted

• Posted

I had RTHR on 12/26/2018 and have experienced similar pain. I had the posterior surgery, lots of cutting. Felt like I was attacked by a shark. The pains you describe have come and gone during the past 2 days. I was thinking perhaps nerve pain and when it occurs, I take a rest and apply ice. That usually does the trick. My ice pack is great because it is a gel-filled rectangle that can also be heated in the microwave for a wet heat which I use on my back.

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I am 3 months THR postop . I too experienced groin pain which i put down to leg raises and moving my leg sideways the first week after my op. I feel the groin muscles were "pulled" so stopped doing that exercise. Getting in and out of bed proved painful as well. In fact I did none of the recommend hip exercises in my first 6 weeks as i was informed by an orthopaedic doc that hips exercise themselves by our general daily activities and why hurt already injured muscles and tendons and ligaments. I have resumed all the activities I did before my replacement but do recommend a lot of walking. The same goes for my TKR which I started exercising in my 6th week postop . I have full ROM in my knee and a couple of squeaks and clanks which are normal. All the best for your future recovery.

Lesley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.