Groin pain post op thr all scans negative

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm 48 yrs old and had a hip revision. I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at age 23 I had a surgery called a Ganz osteotomy and it was successful for about 15 years. The past 8 years I suffered bad hip pain to the point where I couldn't walk anymore. I decided to do a total hip replacement 6/16. I'm currently 9 months post op I have the best surgeon. I still have groin pain like I did pre-op I can't lift my leg up. I can't get in and out of my car with out using my hand to lift my leg to get in. The same when I get in and out of bed. I take a few steps then the pain gets really bad. I've gotten 2 hip Injections one in the hip joint and one in the psoas tendon it was ct guided and it didn't work I've gotten numerous X-rays ct scans Mars MRI and an ultrasound and they're all negative. I'm pretty sure it's the psoas tendon but my ortho said if it was the psoas the injection should of relieved the pain. I feel crazy cause my dr is world renown and he doesn't see anything. And he's been my ortho for the past 25 years. So I know he's really concerned. He really doesn't want to do exploratory surgery on me. He's gonna brain storm with other orthopedic surgeons and radiologist to see if they can pick up anything on my scans. Am I the only one that's going through this? Has anyone experienced this and if so did you find out what it is. I'm miserable and still on crutches.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Is it possible you might have some kind of nerve damage from your surgery!? Maybe a neorolgist could test you for nerve issues which can present like the issues your are experiencing. Am so sad you are in so much pain. I live with chronic pain and I know how very hard it is to deal with. I send my best wishes and hope you can find solution(s) to your issues. Sending a hug also. 🍀🤕🤞🏻

• Posted

No it's definitely not nerve damage cause the pain is in the same place. It doesn't shoot anywhere else.it's contained to the groin.

• Posted

Hi, wondering if nerve damage or constant pressure on nerve has to shoot out to other areas? If not than a nerve could be involved. My pain issues stared with constant pain in lower back and progressed to further damage and the shooting pains. But this followed after more wear and tear as time and other experiences happened. Hope this might help you. Oh yeah, on the internet you can find illustrations of the spine and which nerves go to the area of the body you feel the pain. They are very helpful to help you sorta understand the issues you face. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🌸🌼🌻🌺

• Posted

Usually with nerve pain/ damage you feel pain that radiates or you feel numbness or tingling and or a hot burning dull sensation. I don't have that. I had a total hip replacement 10 months ago and the pain is only contained to my groin. I can't lift my leg. I'm on crutches and I'll try to walk without them around the house I can take 4-5 steps then I'll get the sharp groin pain I can't get in and out of bed or my car without putting my hand under my thigh to help me lift it into the car or bed. I can't lift my knee up from a standing position. I feel like it's something so small and easy to fix. the problem is, will we figure out what it is without doing exploratory surgery. But I will definitely keep everyone posted. I have an ortho appt the end of this month. My ortho doesn't want to do exploratory surgery cause it's gonna get complicated I lost a lot of blood with my last surgery had to get 4 transfusions it was touch and go for a while my BP was 69/ 40. So it wasn't fun. I have one of the best orthopedic's in the world and he has great concerns about doing the exploratory surgery. I know he and his colleagues other orthopedic's and a few radiologist that he works closely with are studying my case, to brainstorm and come up with the best way to go about figuring out and fixing my problem. My hip joint set beautifully so it's definitely a soft tissue issue but what part is the mystery that needs to be resolved.

• Posted

The only thing I can think of is complex regional pain syndrome. I don't know much about it but you can google it. I am a chronic pain patient and hear about it all the time in my pain sites. It is supposed to be a very painful condition. Otherwise I have no experience in the area for which you are having problems. I hope you get some relief soon. You should feel lucky though that you have a team of doctors that are still interested enough in your case to be studying it and still looking for answers.

• Posted

Hi, never heard this syndrome before. Can you explain further? This sounds miserable. I wonder if this syndrome is a part of other diagnosed pain issues.? 
    • Posted

I read up on complex regional pain syndrome and I don't have the symptoms. I have an appt with my ortho the end of this month hopefully he can get to the bottom of this soon I'm going on 10 months post op.

• Posted

Well I am actually glad that you don't have that. It is just awful from what I hear. I hope you find out what's going on soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.