Group therapy for Depression.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hy everyone, I was wondering if anyone would knew any group therapy course or community in london that offers these sessions??? Does anyone know if they exist ?I was thinking something like the AA groups they have for example. .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina....Yes these do exist.Perhaps  your G P might be able to refer  you to a centre close to where you live?I believe there is a place in West London called Parkside.But I don't think it is run like an AA group,groups are  facilitated by professional......Hope you find somewhere that suits your needs.
  • Posted

As you know the AA is for alcholics. For depression you either go privately where you pick and choose who you pay for their help or go to the national health through your doctor and get whatever you can, which often involves a long wait and inadequate help - you can do both - many do.

It depends on how important to you getting better is. If you REALLY want to get better you would rather go without other things so that you can pay a private therapist to do this with you than go without that help.

I used to get people ring my secretary about comng to see me to stop smoking. They would then moan and groan about how they could not afford the £300 it cost to be hypnotised to never smoke again. Instead of being sensible and seeing that it is better to pay out £300 once than forever buy cigarettes and keep ruining your lungs and health.

Sadly a lot of people with depression are the same. They want everyone else to care for them and do things for them but do not want to contribute towards the expense etc. Life does not work that way.

• Posted

hi christine, have a look on your council website look up minds im sure you will find something. also ask your gp these groups will be available somewere. goodluck 
  • Posted

I went to groups run by Depression Alloiance.  They were meetings for people with depression, but more of a social occasion than therapy. 

When I was in a local psychiatric hospital I went to proper group therapy sessions there.  I don't live in London, but you could enquire whether a hospital near you runs sessions.  I was an in patient, and then an outpatient, so don't know if that will apply to you.

Your GP should be able to advise you, or put you in touch with your local mental health team who may know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.