Grumble a Horrendous night

Posted , 11 users are following.

A grumble, one step forward and it seems 3 or 4  steps back.  Went out for the day yesterday, was so tired last night went to bed a 9.45, didn't sleep but tossed and turned till after 12.30 managed to sleep till 2, then got up went downstairs to make myself a drink and had a piece of toast.  Went back to bed again about 4ish and slept fitfully until 5.45 then got up for the day.  Massaged my leg which was not stiff or uncomfortable, exercised and didn't ice this time.  Had another drink and just cried my eyes out for no reason?  probably because I am so tired and it just got on top of me.  My hubby says don't look at the clock but I can't help it, at least I know how long I manage to sleep.

13 weeks_PO.  seeing cunsultant Wed morning.

0 likes, 35 replies

Report / Delete

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ahh chin up and try and keep smiling. I used to cry for nothing for a few weeks not like me at all but I am sure this will pass. Feeling tired make you feel depressed and tearful but hope you will feel better soon. I am not taking any painkillers now and I am not tearful anymore either. Take care regards Bev 😉😬
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Aww sorry , I know how it feels, BUT , it will get better, some patienst are better than others at healing and dealing with the pain . I was about 3 -4 months and was fee of pain and walking etc really well. But being tired is a real problem, I was tired all the time in the first 2 months and depressed too. be positive.

Malcolm

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hope you are feeling better now. The sleepless nights are a nightmare aren't they. I went back to see my surgeon with problems and he said if lucky ot will be at least 6 months before I can expect any kind of sleep patterns returning to normal. I'm just a week ahead of you and it's so daunting thinking I've done 3 months of sleepless nights I've got at least another 3 to go! Takes me back to when I had my babies all the sleepless nights it's exhausting isn't it. One of my dogs looked at me yesterday so cutely I burst into tears but apparently this is very normal to feel so abnormal. I hope nothing is wrong when you see doctor today and that it's just the usual with TKR. Keep us informed and keep smiling ...every day is a step closer to recovery wink
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hazel I know how you feel. I am sick of this roller coaster ride and want to get off 😩

I am almost 16 weeks post, been told I need further surgery to straighten my leg, physio told me to go away until I have the surgery (but to make sure I continued with the exercises so it doesn't get worse), consultant said surgery had to be done within 12 weeks but his secretary told me he had a 5 month wait. I've been at my lowest point over the last few days. I read this site every day and whilst it helps so much, it also makes me feel completely inadequate when I hear how quickly/well others are doing.

I eventually got there with my sleep but I do still have to take pain killers so that's probably helped. I sleep for 4 hours, wake up, walk about and then manage up to a further 2 hours. That's it though. If all of that is done by 4am, I am awake for the entire day.

I am currently allowed to work from home as I can't manage the 30 mile drive so I can't take any naps during the day. I just work and exercise.

I know it's difficult but once you can learn to not put so much pressure on yourself to sleep, it becomes easier. Whilst your struggling take a little nap in the day if you can. I learned that forcing myself to stay awake all day when really tired, just meant that I wasn't able to put the effort in to my exercises.

Hope you feel better x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

oh so sorry ,its par for the course im afraid no one tells you how it makes you feel its just that your life as you knew it has changed and depression can set in for a while anyway most people on this forum have felt just like you ,sleep is still a challange for me  but as you get stronger you will cope better a good cry is no harm and ive done plenty its only natural take care it will pass
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I feel exactly like you today. We had visitors yesterday and went out for a late lunch. They were here from 12. Until 6.00 pm but I was exhausted . I had slept well the previous 2 nights without taking anything and I felt I was moving forward. Went to bed at 10pm and tossed and turned for an hour. My knee was really uncomfortable and was sort of jumpy. Couldn't keep it still and it hurt like hell.got up and made myself a drink, massaged my knee and tried again to sleep. No luck. At around 2am I dozed off but awoke again at 3.30. No more sleep but I couldn't even stay in bed because my knee was so painful. So ended up sitting in a char til 6.30 when I decided to get up. That'll teach me to think I can sleep normally again. I'm nearly 4wks tkr but it feels like years ago that I had a good nights sleep.

hope you got on ok when you saw your consultant today.. 

Sorry about the rant but I'm told it's good to let off steam. Lol

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I was also advised not to look at the clock, but you can't help it can you?

It does get better I promise.

I had TKR 3 years ago. Although it is not perfect and I still have trouble walking downhill or any distance, I am certainly better than I was.

Keep up the exercises.

Take care aand keep in touch

Sarah xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

21 weeks, and the sleep pattern is just about returning!  I did resort to sleeping tablets, and have had to cut down gradually . .but for the last few nights I haven't taken any, and although it took a long time to get to sleep,I  was out for about six and ahalf hours . . and then dozed a bit more.  Sometimes I think we do sleep without realising it.  I was tossing and turning, thinking I hadn't  slept at all . .and then suddenly remembered a dream I had had . . so, a bit of sleep had gone by unnoticed! The tearfulness is pretty common to all of us. . it's exhaustion, pain, fear of not succeeding with the bend and the extension . . it all adds up to a pretty difficult time. But as has been said so many times   there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I think I am almost getting there!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It must be something in the air Hazel, Im also 13 weeks post-op and I saw every hour through the night last night - and dont you love it when they tell you not to look at the time mad I cant help but want to know how long I have slept...or not  slept for that matter!

I havent had a full day out yet, but I go on holiday 4 weeks on Friday, so Id best pull my finger out!

Good luck with your Consultant appointment, I have one a couple of days after I come back off holiday, and Im hoping that theyll put me straight onto the waiting list for TKR #2 - I know that it needs doing, and the pain is terrible, so in my mind I may as well be on the list while my Xrays and MRIs are sorted.....lets hope they agree.....

Heres to a good nights sleep! 

Terri - 48 years old but feeling at least 20 more than that lol! xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for replying.  I appreciate every reply and read every posting.

Felt better after the crying jag...its better out than bottled inside even though you can't explain why to your other half!    Funny thing is I don't remember all this hassle when I had my left knee done 8 years ago. It did take 6 months to bend it fully but kept at it after the physio finished so I know there is light at the end of this long tunnel.

Got a call from granddaughter to see if we could take her to UNI to pick up her graduation tickets, its only an hour away so we have been and enjoyed the run out.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ohhh Hazel how strange is that, i too went to a National Trust Yest, had a nice walk round but got that stiff band round my knee then got an horrendous headache????? Managed to get some Anadin from a garage cos id forgotten my pain killers and then like you did NOT sleep a wink or at least i fell asleep straight away cos was shattered then woke and couldnt get back to sleep so read my Kindle from 01.30 to 04.30 this morn??? Then fell asleep and woke up at 8.00 absolutely fed up????  Whats going on lol
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up