Guard against complacency

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I joined this forum in November after a flare in August still had me in pain.  I picked up lots of helpful information, doubled my Fybogel, introduced pure aloe vera juice and probiotics, was soon out of pain and thought I had everything under control.  Well, pride goes before a fall! 

Out of the blue, another flare, just before my holiday.  So whilst everyone else will be out in the sun, then enjoying the all inclusive buffet, I shall be out in the sun, enjoying my antibiotics and fluid only diet!  The only good thing is that I am one of the lucky people who does not have bad side effects from the medication - just a bit of a taste in the mouth.

I'm still trying to work out what triggered it - the only thing I can think of is the stilton sauce I had on my cauliflower and broccoli bake, as I became ill a few hours afterwards.  My friend, who enjoyed the same meal, was absolutely fine.  I gave up trying to convince myself it was just an ordinary tummy upset after a few days, and went back to the doctor for some more pills.  So my point is that I think it is still necessary to watch your diet, and not become complacent.  And after 15 years of dealing with this disease I am still learning - no more stilton!

Greetings from the Canary Islands!

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Felina, I know holidays are relaxing, but the preparation beforehand can be stressful at times, which can affect your digestive system. I have found that I get DD problems when I get tense, and holiday packing and prep winds me up. I haven't needed antibiotics but I have had to be very careful about my diet at such times.

• Posted

Felinia, sorry to hear about your attack while you were on holiday.The same thing happened to me on a flight to Cuba January 2016.  Like you, my all-inclusive was a non-event! I also like a drink in the evening and it was the first time on holiday that all the people around me were enjoying their mojitos. and I was stone cold sober drinking water! I worked it out today that since March 2014 I have suffered 6 attacks. So fed up with the unpredictabilty of this illness.
  • Posted

Oh no! I was wondering when you would leave for your holiday. Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy some of the goodies. Remember your sun screen. 😝🌞

• Posted

Hi John

Yes it's been real frustrating and I'm not taking any chances.  I'd rather be sick back home than in a hotel in a different country!  And the weather forecast is rain, wind, cloud.  At least it's warm rain!!

• Posted

I drinked my first glass of Mitamucil today is that okay while I am still on antibotic ?  Please answer before I take tonights glass, 

Does everyone have pounches in their colon? How do you clear up the pounches? Can you ever be healed/cured of Divertisculisis?  How can you tell if you are alergic to aleo vera juice without drinking it first? I am now on beside my one antibotic will finish 14 days on it. But I've added probotics-Metauculism - what else should I add. Do you all advoid caffiene and chocolate? I have hersey chocolate pudding cups that I like but when I see choclate and caffiene on my paper work from ER I havent touched it since although I did eat one or two before I read through that almost book of papers they gave me at ER

• Posted

Hi

Everyone with Diverticulosis have pouches in their colon - that is the definition of Diverticulosis.  You cannot clear them - they are with you for life.  You cannot be cured but you can certainly heal from an attack of Diverticulitis.  Regarding aloe vera juice, caffeine and chocolate, everyone is different.  You may well be able to take some or all of them with no effect, or you may not.  The only way to know is to try and if it affects you, stop!  If you cut out everything everyone has reacted to you would not even drink the water!  Trial and error!

• Posted

Felinia, thank you for explaining this too me I appreciate it. After a person is off the antbotic treament can you still get blood and pain and not be infected?
    • Posted

Crosado8

Yes I continued on Metamucil during my last flare up six years ago. For me it was very simple if I keep my colon clean from fecal matter this would allow the infected area to heal at a more rapid rate. Think about this for a minute, you have an open sore in your colon and your rubbing poop on it daily. How can it heal? Keep you colon cleaned out daily and you can stop this nasty disease ASAP.

• Posted

You can still get pain, as you can have scar tissue after the infection has healed.  Don't know about the blood though.  My bleeding stopped fairly quickly.

• Posted

Janet that is correct and that's why you need this product to push all waste out of your colon so nothing is left over. Keep the colon cleaned out and speed up the processing of all waste in your body.

• Posted

I get terrible pain after eating brocoli and cheese , at least you were brave to go on holiday
    • Posted

I think I am lucky as I don't seem to suffer such bad symptoms as most people report, although I have been known to roll on the ground in agony and tears on occasion.  However I was born with a back/hip problem, and have lived with pain all my life, so have a pretty high tolerance.  Also I am used to multiple BM daily and don't let them tie me to the house.  I just know where to find the next toilet and get on with life.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up