Gum Disease & Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I’ve been taking Citalopram 10mg for about 7 months now. In that time I have felt much better, my gum have receded which has made me even more anxious! My teeth were fine before taking this medication, assume this is due to the dry mouth get get when in this ?

I’m planning on getting off this as a lot of other side effects aren’t gonna away, constant dry itchy skin, headaches etc.

Basically my question is, if I stop taking will my gum health improve?

Thank you so much

Vicky

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

how old are you?just curious

• Posted

ive just turned 34.

never had gum disease or other teeth issues, just seems very odd.

• Posted

Hi Vicky

If you are getting dry mouth through taking citalopram (it is one of the side effects), then that could be causing your gum problems because bacteria builds up in your mouth in those conditions. If you do decide to come off to see whether it makes a difference, my advice would be to wean off slowly. Don't cold turkey whatever you do. Good luck!

• Posted

yes i have a really dry mouth constantly, so i assume it is the meds. im stopping taking it now, im taking one tablet every other day, would that be the right way to do it? or half the tablet?

• Posted

thats far too fast, im reducing and have really dry mouth

• Posted

Hi

I was on 10 mg for 10 years. I went down to 7.5 for a few months and now I'm on 5mg for the past couple of months. I still haven't stabilised on 5mg and plan to stay on 5mg until after Christmas.

I haven't tried the every other day taper, others on here have but I prefer to take my tablet daily. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to do it if I'm honest but I'm sure others on here with more experience can you advise you there.

Like you I get a dry mouth and am prone to gum infections. That's one of the reasons I am coming off slowly because I get antibiotics for gum infections and they mess with citalopram. I think I am sensitive to meds, even some pain killers. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.