Gum pain,really tender

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im a 48 year old male with history of anxiety and depression for which I take a mix of meds, mirtazapine, citalopram plus lisinopril for blood pressure and codeine sub buprenorphine for addiction assistance. For last 6-8 months Ive suffered with severe gum pain mouth blisters and ulceration. Bloods are all normal and dentist and GP and Consultant given me all clear following tests, oral biopsies and course of mouthwash and oral steroids, prednisone did nothing.Basically no diagnosis but gums still raw and worsening, excruciating pain. Im now trying a herbalist. Im at wits end having exhausted all options bar allergy testing and wonder if anyone has any help or advice, shared experience? Should add all basic solutions tried, toothpaste, brushes,mouthwashes. Also pulling with coconut oil, mindfulness for stress, the works yet today unbearable soreness and continued soft food diet. Exhausted food routine,  iron meds and vitamins, literally everything. Thanks for any consideration and contribution,much appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't know a reason for your gum condition but I think I can help you with your pain. There is a condition called hyperalgesia. It occurs randomly but to patients who use morphine derivatives such as codeine regularly for a different condition. When you get a new pain like your gums, the pain receptors react making your pain much worse. If you take more codeine for the pain it gets worse, much worse. Ask your Dr for a different pain killer that is not opiate based. I know there are very few that don't include codeine but do some research to find a drug and confront your Dr. lots of bonjela and there is another topical cream for mouth ulcers. Swishing soluble aspirin around the mouth. I have chronic pain and take opiates but I do find panadol osteo very good and effective. There is a new mixture of neurofen  and  panadol called nuromol I think. That might be a good option for you. Pain management is tricky but I do suggest stopping the codeine.http://www.instituteforchronicpain.org/understanding-chronic-pain/complications/opioid-induced-hyperalgesia

• Posted

Thank you for your helpful reply Floss, I did abuse codeine for 5 years or more but now in recovery programme taking buprenorphine or subotex as its also known. This means I cannot take any codeine based meds now. I will look further into hyperalgesia, pain management without codeine is a problem for me, nothing works really, perhaps through years of abusing cocodamol and neurofen plus pills in massive doses. I am today trying a steroid nasal spray from GP, its been suggested my sinuses are causing a problem and maybe an allergy afflicting my gums and mouth, so will give that a shot. Thanks so much again, much appreciated that you took the time and effort to reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.