gums bleeding/ppi/relux/Barratts

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi All i know i have raised this issue before, some of you suggested Corsodyl Daily, which i have been doing twice a day, but i still have the issue in the morning and sometimes during the day, i am on 40mg Nexium (esomeprazol) once a day, i am worried my teeth will be affected by it. Is it the acid causing this or a side effect of the meds?? if it's the acid, how come i dont have a burning throat of mouth???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Would seem to me if the Nexium were working then you shouldn't have acid coming up into your mouth. Here's from the FDA website: "Bone fractures. People who take multiple daily doses of Proton Pump Inhibitor medicines for a long period of time (a year or longer) may have an increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist, or spine. You should take NEXIUM exactly as prescribed, at the lowest dose possible for your treatment and for the shortest time needed. Talk to your doctor about your risk of bone fracture if you take NEXIUM."

They say nothing about it affecting your teeth, but in my opinion (not a doctor nor have any medical training so take it for what it is) if it's causing a decrease in calcium throughout the body and you were taking it long term, then I don't see how it wouldn't affect teeth.  Here's from the CDC website:  "Calcium

Calcium is a mineral needed by the body for healthy bones, teeth, and proper function of the heart, muscles, and nerves. The body cannot produce calcium; therefore, it must be absorbed through food. Good sources of calcium include

Dairy products—low fat or nonfat milk, cheese, and yogurt

Dark green leafy vegetables—bok choy and broccoli

Calcium fortified foods—orange juice, cereal, bread, soy beverages, and tofu products

Nuts—almonds

Recommended amount of calcium vary for individuals. Below is a table of adequate intakes as outlined by the National Academy of Science."

So again, I'm not a doctor nor have any medical training, but I see where you're coming from thinking that might be causing some issues.  Have you asked your doctor about increasing your intake of calcium and vitamin d?  Also, Nexium taken long term can decrease magnesium levels, so that's something else to ask your doctor about.  

• Posted

thanks for all that info Eric, very interesting.
  • Posted

Hi Kevin

Try asking your dentist and tell them the meds your on they should know what's what with bleeding ! 

Is the bleed in one area of your mouth or all over ? If in one place you could have a abscess  if all over could be a reaction to meds but do go to dentist .

regards

trev

• Posted

Hi Kevin;  I too am concerned re your "bleeding gums"...it could be as a result of Many things.  Are your gums swollen or red? if so, it could be a Gum Disease (Peri-dontites/Gingavites), which your dentist can advise you on correct treatment.  If not, you should speak to your doctor/GP, and have bloods done....do you,have any other symptoms, such as Swollen Glands/dizziness?....I really think this is an issue for a professional.   Let us know how you get on.....we are all concerned,   Bron
    • Posted

hi thanks for your response, gums are not swollen or red at all there's no pain or anything, ive got an appt with the dentist next week so i'll ask then, ref 'bloods' had all that done on 1st Apr this year when i had my endoscopy, all clear, thankfully...
    • Posted

good...let us know your answers, if you get a satisfactory one....if not keep being persistent....Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.