H. Pylori

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everybody. I'm 20 years old and recently tested positive for H. Pylori. I've been given antibiotics but it means I'll be on 14 tablets a day.. That seems an awful lot of tablets doesn't it? It has me slightly concerned! The tablets are amoxicillin 500mg 'take two capsules twice a day for 7 days' and Tetracycline 250mg 'take two four times a day' and Lansoprazole '2 capsules daily' is this the normal regimen?

Don't want to overdose.. Obviously.. Haha

Thanks all!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The intensive course of two antibiotics is quite normal for H-Pylori.

The bacterium doesn't like acid so burrows deep into the mucosa of the stomach and can reduce the porduction of acid.

As the H-Pylori is eradicated, it's normal to experience some acid hypersecretion until the stomach normalises. The lansoprazole reduces acid production.

• Posted

Sorry Barretts.

It's donkeys years since H.Pylori was thought to 'Burrow'.

But it 'swims' very well indeed.

• Posted

Dear me Barretts.

The bacteria tthrives on acid and cannot live in a pH less than 7.0

• Posted

From "Host-Bacterial Interactions in Helicobacter pyloriInfection" by 

Amieva, Manuel R. et al. and printed in 2007 in Gastroenterology, "[H_Pylori bacteria] live near the surface of the human gastric mucosa. They have evolved intricate mechanisms to avoid the bactericidal acid in the gastric lumen and to survive near, to attach to, and to communicate with the human gastric epithelium and host immune system."

• Posted

Dead right  !

Whilst the bactrium requires acidity in the Corpus and Antrum, once it enters the Gastric Mucosa it thrives on the lower ph levels there.

It is interesting that it cannot enter the Viscocity layer of the Gastric mucosa (and dances violently at its periphery)  until it manages to reduce the layer to Gel. Its a very clever little beasty indeed.

• Posted

PS Don't get confused between acid in the stomach and the bactericidal acid in the Mucosa.
  • Posted

I tested positive for H Pylori a few years ago. After the antibotics I took Acidophilus to get good bacteria back in gut.

However earlier this year I had some digestive problems and asked Doc if any possibility of H Pylori returning. He gave me impression in negative and prescribed Omeprozale which I took for a short time but think I solved problem with a few days of food combining. Recently

I have now been diagnosed with LPR!! Not sure where all this is leading? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.