H. Pylori & endoscopy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've been suffering with really severe symptoms of GERD for a year and a half and no matter what ppis I have tried or diets NOTHING has got better, my stomach is always burning along with my chest I always feel like I'm going to be sick and I get a load of other symptoms. Last July I went for an endoscopy and this is the only time I've been tested for h pylori (came back negative), however, after reading posts on here I've seen a lot of people CAME OFF their ppis 2 weeks prior to the procedure.. Same as if you have the breath test.. My consultant (who isn't great anyway) never mentioned this to me. Do you guys think I got an accurate answer? Or should I get re tested?

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I stopped my PPI 5 days before my endoscopy and the gastro found H. pylori and severe gastritis.  I now am waiting to have the antibiotic treatment to eradicate it.  If you dont want to have another endoscopy, you could have the stool test to diagnose it.
  • Posted

I was sent a letter telling me to stop taking 2 weeks before test.  Then when I had the test the consultant apologised because if you have servere reflux its very hard to stop and makes everything flare up worse so had to wait 6 weeks to have another test done again, they made a mistake and sent wrong letter . so always check first before you stop taking them you need to come of slowly. Ok
  • Posted

Yes, I took the breath test and had to be off for 2 weeks.  But is to my understanding if you have high acid then you can't have h pylori because the acid kills it. You should be worried if you have low acid.
  • Posted

Hi abbie, you should have been advised before to come off for 2 weeks. I'm due an endoscopy in may and have already been told to stop taking them two weeks prior. I've also had to do a stole test twice and before doinf those I had to stop taking ppi 2 weeks before. It's best you stop now and go back to the doctors and ask for another test! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.