H R T

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi I am 66 and have been off H R T almost a year, I am now regreting this as i am stiff and my joints hurt, is there anyone out there like me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christina, I've just joined this website and am hoping I can help people cos this will help me to feel useful again. I have a mountain of health issues and frequently feel overwhelmed by them so I can understand your dilemma. I started HRT after a total hysterectomy in 2007. I'd had a belly-full of fibroids which were stuck to everthing on all sides so it all came out and I was totally happy with that as I was then 53 and well past child-bearing age. I was told then that I'd be on HRT for the rest of my life so I'm wondering if you chose to come off it yourself or were told it was the best thing to do, and did you discuss what might happen when you stopped taking it?? Could you go back onto it do you think? I know there are always going to be reasons for not taking pills but if you were genuinely feeling better when you were taking HRT perhaps going back on it might be the right thing for you in the circumstances? You know your body better than any GP does. All the best, Alison
  • Posted

Hi Alison it was part advice so I though I would try but I think quality of life is important , I have always been

active and don't want to loose that , I look after my mum who is 87 , I also help with my grand children I have

Wonder'd about funding it my self as I think ladies of

my age on H R T is not really approved of , it would mean buying on the Internet and that scares me a bit

Christina

• Posted

Hi Christina, I'm sad that you feel you would have to go against medical advice to get HRT for yourself. I must ask my GP or Practice Nurse (cos I have to have a blood pressure check every 6 months) just what the situation is. I can't cope with anything going backwards as it would if I had to manage without. Even on the lower dose I was still getting some cold sweating and that's when I asked to increase my dose. I have a very understanding GP now. Let me know how you get on. Alison
  • Posted

Hi Alison , I should have said yesterday im so sorry you have so many health problems thank you for responding to my question
  • Posted

Hi Nora, Thanx for your message. I've tried replying using the Message section but am not sure what happens with that so I'm just using Reply and hope it reaches anyone who is following this discussion. You've made me wonder if the policy on advising patients to take HRT continuously is a matter of GP preference and I will certainly ask at my next appointment. I always assumed it would be like using the contraceptive pill when it was usual to be told to take a break after a certain time to allow the body to return to its natural cycle. Something I will be following up. Thanx again, Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.