Had a cystoscopy today

Posted , 3 users are following.

This was a 3-month follow-up after my bladder tumor resection in March.  Nothing found this time so that was good news.  He did say although my prostate is not large (est 50 grams), the median lobe is protruding into my bladder.

Back to the cystoscopy.  This was my 3rd one in 8 months.  All have been the same, just a slight feeling of pressure while he rotated the scope around but nothing I would call pain.  First 2 or 3 voids afterwards had a slight burning but again, I would call it discomfort rather than pain.  Hard to explain why some of you have had unpleasant experiences.  I will admit that my first one almost 20 years ago was quite painful when the instrument was withdrawn but I suspect the technology has improved since then and/or maybe my current doctor (30 years in practice) is just better at it than most.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Lee,

That's the way it goes. There are so many variables in play here - the state of your urethra and both sphincters, your pain threshold, operator skill, and so on - each can have an individual effect or, more often, several have a combined effect.

Ideally you would have an understanding doctor or nurse prepared to spend time with you explaining the procedure to you, and how you go about relaxing, If you are one of us lucky ones, tolerance will turn to acceptance, which will tun to enjoyment. How can you tell if your doctor or nurse are accepting you as completely normal? If your routine urology or physical appointments are being followed by appointments for psychiatric evaluation, then I would say keep on searching for a really supportive medical team! But, I am not a doctor so my comments must be taken for what they are: only my opinions

On that happy note I wish you well.

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

Well put, Alan.  I can't imagine a cystoscopy ever being enjoyable but at least my recent experiences have not been negative.  And I get to do it again in 3 months! biggrin

• Posted

Hi, Lee,

"Enjoyable" was the last of the three outcomes I had in mind. The concern that has been driving me is why are there so many patients postponing necessary urological intervention based on the expectation of excruciating pain? Having firsthand knowledge of natural childbirth (Grantly Dick Read method) and the natural fight or flight syndrome and how tensing up can cause urethra and sphincters to close in self-defense, could the same techniques be applied to ease the insertion of cystoscopes or catheters? So I saw the "enjoyable" stage as the proverbial carrot dangling in-front of the horse scenario.

My results thus far have proven me correct. There does appear to be a significant population out there, of either gender, who would fall fairly and squarely in my three categories: tolerate, accept, and enjoy. So, folks, please don't wait. Go ahead and do it now, or A.S.A.P.. It could even save your life!

All the best, alan86734.

• Posted

I suppose it's similar to the fear of dentists that some (many??) have.  The anticipation is typically much worse than the actual event.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.