Had a horrible night.

Posted , 13 users are following.

No pain, not uncomfortable just because of, I think constipation from cocordemol.     Saw most of each hour, couldn't even concentrate to read.   Got up and made myself a hot drink. I think I slept from 5 until 10 mins ago 6.40am. When I got up and had another hot drink.  This I am happy to say worked!  so today, salads, vegs and soup only. Oh the joys and tribulations life gives us....sorry, I know there are people far worse off but at times we just need to  grumble. redface  

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Grumble away, Hazel. There's nothing worse than not being able to sleep, and watching that clock in the hope that it's really 7 hours later than it is. I'm on the other side of the world, so it's only 4.20 in the afternoon for me. I trust you've had a TKR and that you're a member of our growing band of post op's. I'm just over 9 weeks and feeling better by the day, so here's hoping you'll soon be where I am.

Feeling tired after walking in the morning and then cleaning for a few hours, I'm now planning on sitting down with a glass of merlot and a good book. ( I couldn't read for weeks after the op! My brain simply shut down and left me feeling like a zombie.)

Cheer up, your plan for salads, soups and hot drinks sounds like a good one.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery,

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Thanks Denise, have family in Brisbane.....will get there, I am 5 weeks post op 2nd knee. first seemed like a doddle now.
  • Posted

Hi Hazel

don't worry about grumbling - I'm sure we've all been there at some point. Just try to rest and tonight will be better.

best wishes

Kevin

xxx

• Posted

Sorry you had a rubbish night Hazel.  As soon as I started taking codeine in hospital they gave me Lactulose night and morning, but I still got horribly constipated, probably because I just wasn't moving as much as normal. Now I am taking 15mg four times a day, so the equivalent of 8 co- codamol a day and I am finding that one dose of Lactulose plus one Sennakot tablet at night is doing the trick.  Both over the counter at the pharmacy but GP will prescribe if you get free prescriptions or do pre-pay.  Worth a try for anyone doing longer term codeine use.
  • Posted

Hi hazel I too have had the same night and maybe for the same reason im just laid in bed now like a zombie wondering when things will improve. My knee is really stiff this morning and im worn out. HEY HO at least were not on our own
  • Posted

Hazel get yourself some LAXIDO works wonders take a satchet every day 2 to start with hope this helps
  • Posted

Morning Hazel,  it's 4:30 am here and I'm up having coffee already.  Grumble away we all need to do it!  Every other night I take a sleeping pill to help me get through the night but I'm always up early.  I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op TKR, doing pretty good,  but I feel as I've lost a lot of my independence as I'm not driving and have to depend on others to get me back & forth to physical therapy.  Going to the grocery store is a big outing for me, I'm like a dog going for a ride in the car with it's head out the window! LOL!  So glad to have found this group as we all can relate to each other.  Patty In New Jersey
  • Posted

I agree with Lesley, Laxido is brilliant, no griping pains that things like lactose and senna can give you.

Ive had a couple of nights in the past week where I saw every hour on the clock, so I really sympathise, it feels like you're the only one going through it, and that everyone else is sleeping like a baby......

I hope you have a good day, and that your soup and salads do the trick!

• Posted

I think I must the peculiar exception to a rule. The nurses told me that some people can't take Lactulose because they hate the taste but I find it quite pleasant and it hasn't given me any problems at all.....horses for courses I guess, but I think the message is don't try taking codeine without taking something for the side effects!
  • Posted

Well done you can't beat that first poo!

Hopefully you will start to feel better in yourself now as well. Keep taking the lactulose as this works well with the meds and remember to take it easy

• Posted

Nothing worse than constipation, especially when we are trying to cope with the tkr as well. I had a horrendous four weeks suffering with constipation, even though I was taking the lactulose and the sennokot each day. I doubled up with the laxido and still no joy. My only salvation came when I tried a glycerin suppository, took about an hour to work but work it did. Have continued to take the lactulose and I am back to my normal self. Literally, what a relief!
  • Posted

constipation is really adding insult to injury isnt it ? I am still using the loo seat (looks just like a toddler seat ) and I was thinking that this was adding to the problem but am not sure I can manage without it  ! good luck with the salad and soup               best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.