Had a recurrence of my anxiety and depression after getting too high

Posted , 4 users are following.

Heres the story. I got far too high in November 2014 which caused me to have a major panic attack. This led to the onset of a major depressive episode along with pretty debilitating anxiety. This anxiety was at its worst at night with feelings of depersonilzation and derealization. After a few months of trying to hold on until I saw a psychiatrist, I slowly started to get better. I find a combination of medications that led me to be in a constant state, it wasn't perfect but it was definitely livable with my night troubles persisting at a much more tolerable level. 

My situation all changed a few weeks when on a trip with my friends I got far too high again. I realized what was happening and tried to calm myself down so as to not have any panic attacks. I did a much better job of not letting the anxiety overwhelm me this time. I thought I was through the woods until I woke up the next morning and started feeling off. I just felt like the world was flat and not real during the day. Then when night hit was when the real trouble started. My depersonalization reached a new level not seen since before I went on medication. I didn't feel like myself, would wake up feeling disoriented, just would get stuck in my head (which is not a good place to be at the moment) for far too long. I was hoping that my medication would help level me out again after not too long but it hasn't thus far. I just feel like I'm never going to get better and I'm losing hope. I just want any advice people have about what to do smile 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Firstly - stop getting high. It is not helping

Secondly - get some professional help - from what you say your issues may be a mix of things including depression? What kicks of the attacks do you know?

• Posted

Yeah I think its safe to say I will not be getting high anytime in the near future. I don't know why I would want to impair my mind when it is already impaired in the status quo. I took for granted how far I'd come and it sucks that it took this for me to realize that. 

Yeah there is definitely depression at play here too. The attacks usually happen at night, other than the initial attacks being caused by getting too high I can't pinpoint what kicks off the attacks.

• Posted

I really dont understand why you would get high for a second time after you have been through such a bad time.

Rec drugs are a stimulant along with alcohol smoking coffee  and junk food.

Go back and speak to your doctor make sure your getting the correct support

consider therapy it teaches you how to cope with anxiety.

You have to want to help yourself there is no point moaning about it on forums like this then going off and doing drugs

I wish you luck

Stay Strongcool 

• Posted

I wish I had an answer of why. I just missed being "normal" when it came to hanging out with my friends. I know that my mental health should never take a backseat to getting high with my friends but it did this time. I thought I was ready to indulge a little bit but I of course that little bit turned into a lot quickly. Thanks for your kind words 
    • Posted

Ive had depression for 16 years the anxiety only started in December.

I thoughr I was seriously ill or dying I would not believe that it was anxiety 

It was'nt until I came onto forums like this  that I knew I wasnt alone.

My love in life was a cigarette and a nice coffee, I cant have that now because it sends my anxiety through the roof and I will do anything to stop a horrofic anxiety attack

If you want your anxiety to improve your gonna have to give up drugs mate I know its hard when your mates are doing but if you dont try and sort it now it will turn into bigger things and ruin your life

• Posted

Yeah no drug is worth how I'm feeling now. Here's to strength for us both!
  • Posted

Why are you messing with drugs when you know perfectly well the damage you can do? There are people here who's lives are very difficult through no fault of their own and despite their best efforts. The key to your problem is to grow up and stop messing with drugs. That's it. If you don't want to do that then font waste people's time here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.