Had full ankle replacement 1st May not yet had physio ass

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks

On May 1st I had my right ankle replaced - but as of yet I have yet to receieve any physio

Surgeon told me to do away with aircast but not having received any guideance and knowing a little about structre and the dangers of getting into bad habits when I do venture out I put the aircast on just to be safe until I have had my full physio assessement. I understand that NHS waiting times will vary from region to region and trust to trust -  does any one have any tips, advice that I can implimnet whilst I await physio assessment. I do walk about at home as much as possible trying to correct foot drift and concentrating on walking through my foot

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had my ankle replaced 11 March. I started physio after 8 weeks, I Only attended twice and thought I can do this at home.  I put the boot on when out . But took it off in house when resting it.  Try not to over think when walking . I did , then realised don't think about it . It is weird at first but as time goes on , it becomes natural  that's me 16 weeks since op no pain , but if on it too long it aches a bit, but fine after rest.

• Posted

Hi Lucy53675

I had an ankle debriement in Jan and i got physio 3 weeks later for 6 weeks, which hasn't worked as im still under the surgeon. can i ask you about your ankle replacement why you got it and didn't get an ankle fusion, as my surgeon has said he will not give me a ankle replacement it will be a fusion which i'm a bit worried about getting.

thanks

• Posted

Hello shazy111,

I have had problems with my ankle(s) since 2000. I have arthritis and had to have initally ligament and tendon reconstruction as well as several laparoscopies - to the point it was useless. A law of diminshing returns. I was initally told (for once) that I was too young for an ankle replacement. But I pushed - I have to say I was right from the start sent to the specialsit unit at Guys who deal with dancers, sportsmen and women and other creatives who incur injuries and wear and tear from their profession. An ankle fusion for me professionally would be of no good whatsoever so the Surgeon had to reconsider the surgical options in line with what I do for a living.

Giving me a fusion could seriously have scuppered any vialble return to work. I was already trippig up because of my ankle and lack of mobility and the pain within the joint. So fusing it would not have helped me.

I know that opinons vary widely from surgeon to surgeon on whether the ankle should be fused or replaced.

I woud seek a second opinion if at all possible

• Posted

Hi Lucy 53675

I see my surgeon tomorrow for him to take the plaster cast off which has been on for six weeks for pain control, the only thing about getting a second opinion is that i would get it for another doctor in the same hospital and they are not to keen on doing ankle replacement. The hospital i attend is the only big hospital in my region. I play golf and the surgeon isn't sure if i would be able to play after a fusion.

How are you after your operation? Has it worked better than you thought? 

Thank you for getting back to me.

• Posted

I had plaster cast on 2 weeks then removable boot for another 10 weeks. But took it off when resting at home & off going to bed. Good luck for tomorrow 
  • Posted

I had. The option of fusing or TAR I opted for replacement. This time the surgeon repaired damaged ligaments , & stretched the Achilles' tendon.3 scars ( which healed great) 
  • Posted

Lucy

I did not get any physio (my consultant said "we do not need that" with this operation) and I believe that is the reason I am having so mnay skeletal and other issues 3 years on. I have had a personal trainer for that time in order to at elast keep my general level of fitness up. That is essential. Rebuild your core so you have the inner muscular strength to cope with some of the shifts in the body stance and movement. Keep your ankle moving...rotating and flexing..avoid the build-up of scar tissue which will eventually hinder ankle movement otherwise.

• Posted

Had ankle replace at the same time. Next day went into aircast boot which I was told to keep on night and day for first 6 weeks

For the following three week I have had an aircast ankle support.

Result now using 1 crutch and no pain at rest. Still reasonable pain walking with no crutch.

Have foot massage once a week and walk up and down in the swimming pool also 20 min on my in house bike

Consultant amazed at my recovery and can hadly see the scare on my foot (I cream and massage the scare every day after a shower)

Will be back on my mountain in bike in approx 6 weeks. My age 81

Regards Mr Ankle

• Posted

Well done you 👍 by 12 weeks you should be crutch free & no pain . Still takes time to a full recovery (up to 1 yr). 
    • Posted

Many thanks for coming back. That is what I was told that it can take 1 to 2 years to get everything back to normal. I just keep thinking I am superman and will recover sooner. Some peoples comments make me feel lucky but depressed hearing of there pain. Mr Ankle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.