Had intestinal pain since last July, not sure what I have.

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have had intense intestinal pain/spasms since last July, they get really bad and I can hardly function at times. I am constipated a lot too. Going once every few days. I also have a Hiatal Hernia and having food getting stuck in my throat a lot lately. I had an Endoscopy and a Colonoscopy that both found nothing. I am going on an elimination diet to see if it is an allergy or something. The pain just gets to me a lot lately. I was wondering if anyone could help me try to figure out what is causing my pain or any way to help it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Jon, what has your GP told you? Has he given you anything? It sounds like IBS (if they can't find anything wrong then the usual diagnosis is IBS) There are various things to try.. some folks dont get along with fibre, it sets them off and others do fine on it. There are medications . I take Colpermin approx 20 mins before I eat, it's a pepppermint capsule. Buscopan is good for cramps. Best thing is to keep a diary (I am) and note down which foods give you a hard time, eat a bland diet for a few days until it all calms down a bit and drink plenty of water little and often.. after a few days introduce some of the food you normally eat and see if they trigger any symptoms.  

• Posted

I might try that. I tried some peppermint Intestinal Defense pills from Walgreens but because my Hiatal Hernia I but up the pills and taste mint for hours and get heartburn.
    • Posted

I can't take peppermint pills either because I get hearburn.  I also find my throat often pushes any pills up again if I don't take a full glass of water with them even with small tablets.  Sometimes I soak tablets in water for a few minutes to soften them to trick my throat into swallowing.  I think my throat mistakes them for a foreign body and goes into spasm.

• Posted

Could be IBS if nothing else shows up in your tests.  Doing an elimination diet and food diary should help to identify food triggers.
  • Posted

The problem you seem to have could be many things and it would be wrong to try an diagnose what the problem is.

Many people do not pass stools every day and some bad causes of constipation may last for upwards of five/seven days.

You can get medications to loosen the stools from either the Chemist or your GP.

Some people take a spoonful of Olive Oil to loose the stool that may clear you out. When they did the Colonoscopy they would have prepared your bowels and colon by giving a good clean out and I would have thought they would have seen something then.

You mention your Huitus Hernia, this is something separate 

BOB

• Posted

I had intense pain and cramps.  On a regular basis the pain which ended up in a kind of 'fever' would knock me off my feet for a day sometims two Just had to go with the flow as I was so tired.  I was also constipated  and was told to eat more fibre.  I also drank lots of water and I was eating lots of fruit.  When I did eventually get an appointment at the hospital I was told that I was eating too much fruit ( this is about the only advice I have been given,) and had fructose malabsorbtion.   I was told no more than three pieces a day and that fruit with stones in had more sugar.   I also gave up cereals as  I found these were another cause.  I still get some cramps but nothing excrutiating as before.  I also find that I need to walk or exercise as these really does help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.