had my scope yesterday Help with termanology please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

Had my scope done yesterday and although I have not talked with my doc, the papers they sent home said duodennnitis was found in the duodenum. Also that they found retained Bile, friability with specks of blood, and antral eryththema in my stomach. My Hida scan is set for the 20th this month. Can any of you tell me what this means or if you had the same kind of results?? oh yes they took 4 biopsies and sent them away . I would really like to know what this means. Nurse told me Doc will be calling me.  Thanks all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia Waiting for a diagnosis from test results can be very annoying and full of anxiety.  The results in your post can be googled, may or may not be something you could do. The most I can offer to help is remain calm while waiting on the diagnosis and treatment from the doctor will follow up with you. 

• Posted

thanks I will remain calm, can't wait to get the Hida scan on the 20th. I guess I am finally getting close to the problem and it just cannot come soon enough for me. I am sure many of you have been in the same situation. I have felt like this for the past 4 years , just much worse now and docs just kept telling me it's your fibro acting up. I knew it wasn't.

• Posted

I'm going to answer your question assuming you really do want to know the possibilities suggested in the paperwork.  I hesitate because I think it's probably best for you to just wait for your doctor rather than worry yourself by thinking about what it MIGHT be, but if it were me I wouldn't ask unless I really wanted an answer, so I'm going to give you an answer.

Duodenitis is inflammation of the duodenum, the part of the small intestine just past the stomach.  Antral erythema suggests redness in the stomach lining. To me, that sounds consistent with chronic gastritis and/or ulcers.  Retained bile could be a gall bladder issue.  If you look up "friability colon" it looks like a symptom of ulcerative colitis.  Assuming you had the scope because of persistent digestive complaints, none of these would be very surprising.  

Sending away biopsies isn't unusual, please don't stress yourself out about it.  People tend to hear "biopsy" and think they mean that cancer is suspected, but that's not the case.  A biopsy just means they are testing a sample of tissue and it could be for any number of reasons (including those I mentioned above). 

I'm really kind of surprised they would send you away with the paperwork knowing that you could Google the terms and come to your own conclusions rather than just have you wait until the doctor calls.  You would think they wouldn't want people doing that and worrying themselves further.        

• Posted

Thanks Viv,  I am getting so close to getting a solution for this pain and wanting it to come faster. Got a Hida scan on the 20th and am just biding the days till it comes. I just cannot eat anymore so I do a bit of brothy soup, some fruit and a bit of protien. Great for loosing weight (which I need to ) but boy am I hungry) . It seems whenever I cook for my hubby it just makes me feel sick even to smell it. I just know if I eat a whole meal I am gonna suffer even more.

I am lucky as all the tests are being done quite quickly . I have been off work since the end of September and really miss my work mates.  Hoping they will fix me up and I will be back soon. Hope your day is great and Thanks so much for explaining this stuff. I do believe if they had seen something really serious they would have said so right away. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.