Had REZUM Procedure Today

Posted , 6 users are following.

My urologist staff had prepared me very well so I knew what to expect....A local anthesia was used,as well as, a pain pill...The procedure was done in my urologist's office under the guidance of a REZUM representative. The procedure took ~ 45 minutes..The procedure went as expected, but the Pain was much greater than expected. Per my urologist, my pain level was 7 out of a possible 10..The Pain lasted for ~ 9 minutes per shot and there were 8 shots...Because of high retention problems, I was put back-on a direct catheter. At thr end of each month for 3 months, we''ll attempt a Trial Void..If and when the Trial Void is successful, I can remove the Direct Catheter and hopefully I 'll have normal Flow after then....If I don't have a successful Trial Void during the next 3 months, then, the REZUM procedure would not have been successful and chances are I would have to do a TURP...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Some extra input. Chances are, you'll be able to void after a month - probably less. My doc said that at a little over 2 weeks I was the longest he'd seen to that point. I wouldn't stay on a cath for 3 months - I wouldn't stay on one for a month if I didn't have to. Ask your doc to show you how to self cath and do it yourself. You can live totally normally.

Even if this doesn't work, (takes longer with big prostates to feel the full effect according to my doc), you won't have to do a TURP. At worst, Holep, which is WAAAAAY better than Turp. Read the post from the guy today who had a Turp recently who mentioned that he gets up 3 times a night to change his diaper.

• Posted

Thanks Randy,

Keep posting your progress.  I'm sure there are lots of us who greatly appreciate your reports.

Harvey in Southern California

• Posted

As you describe it, the procedure was quite painful. That makes no sense to me. You could have been given a general anesthesia, or at least a "twilight" anesthesia such as Versid. I had that for my PAE, and basically slept right through it. I have heard of others who have had Resume, as you did, and who also had a lot of pain. It sounds like these doctors are sadists. The only possible explanation that I can think of is that "real" anesthesia requires an anesthetist, and that costs money. Were you given any explanation?

Neal

• Posted

The doc stated that he did give me some pain medication, but I seemed more sensitive to pain than his previous patients....Oh  well, that's behend me now...Because of large, 700 ml, retention problems, the doc states I'll need to be on a Direct Catheter for 1 month and then, we'll try a Trial Void..If that's not successful, then, I'll be on a Direct Catheter for Another Month followed by a Trial Void. If that 3rd Trial Void is unsuccessful, then, the doc states he'll need to do a TURP...If I go the 3 months, I will be on a direct Catheter for a total of 5.5 months!...Ouch!....I'm fed-up with having to have a Direct Catheter...The doc states Self Cathing is not appropriate for my condition. Is that right?....Has anyone had Good, Better experience with Self Cathing vs. Direct Cathing?...Please advise..FYI - There's been No Pain Nor Bleeding after the REZUM procedure so far....There suppose to be a noticeable improvement in Flow after 2 weeks, then after 1 month, and then, close to or normal after 3 months...Is there anyone who can confirm that healing trend?...Please advise...  

• Posted

There is no reason you can't self cath regardless of how much you were retaining. He's wrong - self cathing does the same thing as direct cathing and it allows you to live a normal, active life and lets you test your stream each day. Find another urologist who will set you up to self cath if this one won't is my suggestion

• Posted

...and when you have been taught the "prper procedure" for self-cathing, come back, and Old Buzzard or JimJames or I will clue you in on the easier, faster, simpler way to self-cath... to further "normalize" your life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.