had tkr 8 weeks now

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi iv had TKR for 8 weeks i first went to physio last week my knee bend was 35 degrees i knw thats not great after doing exercise physio gave me im at 45 degrees a week later, my problem is the exercise the physio tries to do to me is so painful i cant let him do it and so if i cant let him carry on this week he more or less said no point me going back,i do understand feel im wasting his time problem is i know i really need to get 90 bend in knee can anyone tell me can i acheive this doing exercise myself,its a shame as everything else brilliant also im still using one walking stick by now should i be using any.just found this wonderful forum and would be grateful for any advice please.vicky.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello victoria

?I tried exersise bike first& found it helped a great deal , but just take your time

ian 5 months after T K R ,hope it works

• Posted

I started PT 3-4 weeks post-op and did it for 10 weeks.  Went from -14 / +84 to a very good -1 / +123.  IT WAS NOT EASY!!!  There are advances, setbacks and the dreaded plateaus.  I was stuck at -4 for weeks.  BE PREPARED FOR ALL OF THAT!!!  No kidding.  The PT literally puts your heel up on a block of wood and pushed down on the knee.  Absolutely medieval!!!  ...but it's what they have to do to break down the scar tissue inside the knee.  Absolutely mandatory.

Remember the chest-waxing scene from The 40-Year Old Virgin?  Yup...that's it...and worse.  Gotta go through it...no choice.

Here's some help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

You are at the beginning of this journey...it will take a long time.  Be prepared for a year of work...no kidding...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-recovery-bell-curve--563756

Good luck..."Kneebie"...

• Posted

God, that sounds brutal! I've had 2 TKRs and a Revision TKR all in 2 years, and they NEVER did that to me!! The closest they came was with TKR 2, when I was really struggling with extension, and they GENTLY pushed down repeatedly on my knee whilst I was laid on a couch - a bit like CPR on my knee! It was painful all right, but I guess only a fraction of the pain experienced using your PT's method! It took a while, and a lot of work both at Physio sessions and at home, but I got there!

• Posted

use the "Stick".... the last thing you want to do is fall.

• Posted

And if someone asks why you aren't doing better, beat the everloving crap out of them with it!!!!  I'll pay your bail.  Worth it.  In Brooklyn, we'd even have some nails sticking out of the bottom for extra emphasis. 

• Posted

biggrin Haha! Exactly.

​I was not sure how the physiotherapist survived unscathed actually. My self defence skills nearly kicked in and put them in a headlock a few times. The stick has nearly been deployed on many occasions too - LOL

• Posted

OMG love it Chico! 

When my physio pushed me hard on my first session I didn't know whether to punch him, kick him or throw up on him, plus there were definitely tears in my eyes.

I think he saw my face which must have been grey/green and didn't do it again 😂

I think all TKR physios should have had 'the' op then they might have some understanding of the excruciating pain involved. 

• Posted

Mine wore a dungeon master's cowl and had a humped back.  Pushing down is the way they break up the scar tissue.  Gotta get done or you limp forever.  I'd rather have the short-term pain.

Think of the chest-waxing scene from The Forty-Year-Old Virgin with Steve Carell screaming "Kelly Clarkson...Richard Nixon".  I actually did that...had the whole place laughing while I was crying.

The other "goodie" is when they have you lie on your stomach with your knee barely on the table.  That's it. Your bad leg dangles in the air and gravity does the work.  Then they put a 2-pound ankle weight on your calf...  Yeah...not fun.  However, it is a GREAT thing to do at home.  Edge of the bed and just let gravity lower your leg.  I suggest a few shots of Jack before you try it.  Hurtful but effective.

I did 10 weeks @ 2x/wk.  -14 / +84 all the way to -1 / +123.  Has to be done...

• Posted

The leg over the end of the bed. . I did that too. with a bag of flour on the ankle.  It took a while, bt was worth it.  if you don't get it straight, it makes standing still hell . . .

• Posted

Ali I 100% agree physio s & anyone else who thinks you're "milking it" want to have the surgery THEN they can pass an opinion x

• Posted

V,

Unfortunately physical therapy is painful. It does get easier. I had my surgery December 16, 2016. Started physio in hospital and still going x2 a week. I am finally at 119 degrees. After lots of ups and downs. I take extra pain meds before each session.

Obviously you get physical therapists with a too aggressive approach but physical therapy after this surgery is painful no matter what. The recovery is brutal but you can do it.

• Posted

Had you been exercising at all before you saw the physio?
    • Posted

Hi Jenny iv had been doing exercise from a booklet i got from hospital and since being at physio been working really hard im back at physio today see how i get on but i feel he's not willing to try another exercise and the pain from the one he uses is unbearable iv took on board everything everyone on this forum has said but right now im just a bit down i know there's people a lot worse than myself if i had more of a bend i wouldint worry as much but on this forum i havent came across with anything like 45 bend after 8 wks,il see what happens today wish me luck lol.thanks again to everyone.vicky.

• Posted

Victoria, I certainly do wish you luck for today.  Have you got a goniometer at home to test your bend?  I bought one on amazon - they're very cheap to buy and it might just give you some guidance as to what's happening between your physio visits?  Only a thought. 

• Posted

Hi Chris thats a brilliant idea i was saying to my husband wish i could measure bend myself i do feel a slight difference myself but wont know till i see physio today,iv gv myself a kick up the backside no point being all doom and gloom i gt hip replacement 9 yrs ago age 46 and it was amazing from day one think i was expecting same from knee,im going to get goniometer ordered right now thanks so much.
    • Posted

Chris i also got bio oil and havent been using stick in house or walking local but il use it today as physio a bit away from my home ,my 6 week app back at hopital got cancelled as lady i was to see was off sick so my next app is 29th may,thanks for advice i have took it all on board vicky
    • Posted

Oh good:-))))  I'm so pleased to have come up with something useful:-))))  Don't do what I did and get addicted to measuring every five minutes LOL!  But they certainly are useful.  My physio asked how I knew what bend I'd been getting at home and was SO impressed when I told him I'd bought a goniometer!  I hadn't heard of them until they were mentioned on this group:-)))

• Posted

Ok thats it ordered will be here in few days il try not to use it every day lol,oh well off to physio hope hes nicer todaybiggrin thank again must say this is a great forum so much advice smile
    • Posted

Good luck:-))))  Yes, this forum has not only been so helpful in practical ways to me, but it's been the feeling of belonging to an elite club:-)))))  It's a great boost to the morale:-))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.