Haemorrhoids for 11 years (since I was 13)?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, this is super embarrassing for me but I would like to (anonymously) know people's opinion before I maybe consider asking a doc.

So, i first noticed pain around... there, when I was about 13 years old. And i think soon after that i noticed a lump and bleeding after bowel movements. Due to personal reasons I decided not to tell anyone and ignore it, hoping it would go away.

Fast forward to now 11 years later and i still have an external kind of squishy lump just in front of the anus and a small hard thing (like the end of a pen) at the opposite side of the anus. They themselves don't cause pain unless i catch them, but in the last year every couple of months i get a deep pain in the rectum that keeps me awake for a few hours until it eases. I get blood in my stool and on tissue paper with certain bowel movements but not all the time.

I've been diagnosed with coeliac disease and IBS but when asked about bleeding and things like that I denied it as I didn't want them to suggest an examination.

So I guess I'm asking what people would suggest. I know you can't give me a diagnosis etc, but I'm wondering if I can just leave it as it's not causing big problems at the min, or if I'm better off getting it checked and confirmed as not a problem.

Sorry if that was TMI and thanks for reading.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

please get that checked. I had that same pen hemrhoid as well as a huge prolaspsed one hanging out. the pen feeling one was internal & large. i would certainly not suggest this surgery unless neccasary but you are so young to be having this issue.

• Posted

Thank you Judith. I plucked up the courage to mention it to my doctor. Thankfully he didn't ask to do an examination, just asked questions and prescribed me cream. Now I just need to bring myself to go and get the prescription...

Thanks again for your reply 🙂 xxx

• Posted

if its obly small you have nothing to worry about. some preperation H Cream. and some supposoteries will make it so much better. dont be embarrassed its so much more common than you think

• Posted

I also started getting the same things at your age (my mum has Crohn's) and I ignored it into my late 20s where I'm now recovering from my 2nd hemorrhoidectomy age 32. It gets worse if you ignore it. Treatment usually improves things. Treatment is embarrassing and/or painful but chronic hemorrhoids eventually interfere with your whole life. It is a weight off your shoulders to have the worry dealt with.

Start eating healthily and drinking lots of water, and some exercise e.g. brisk walk every lunchtime if you're not already. The goal is to get your digestion and toilet visits regular like clockwork. Once that's established for a couple of months you may well find (with the cream) that the hems subside, so long as you stick to these habits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.