Hair loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

As a result of an allergic reaction to citalopram, I suffered very bad hair loss.  Not just a few extra strands washed out in the shower etc., but great clumps of it even just running my hands through it.  That and other really nasty side effects caused me to stop taking cit.  The hair recovered a little but was still very thin especially at the temples and front but it did stop shedding so dramatically.  It's now started to fall out again and I'm thinking it may be due to stress/anxiety as I'm not taking anything to combat my depression etc.  I've tried every lotion, potion, gadget idea etc., known to man, spent a fortune on rubbish - these sales people know we're desperate and will spend money on this crap.  Does anyone have any idea what actually works?  I refuse to accept that it's my age etc., as I have friends much older whose hair is lush and thick.  I'm convinced it's something that's down to a deficiency of some sort and if only I could determine what that magic ingredient is. Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey so sorry to hear of your hair loss it must be very emotional for you and cannot be helping your mood at all. I haven't experienced this although I know someone who has. They too tried everything and in the end the only thing that worked was after they had seen a chinese Dr who recommended ginger! 

She used root ginger every day for a month and saw good results. From memory I think she peeled the ginger then it was grated and mixed with olive oil. Then rub on the effected area and leave for half hour before washing off with shampoo. I know on occasion she left it on overnight and covered her hair with a scarf.

Apparently ginger helps with circulation and stimulates the hair follicle thus helping hair growth.

Give it a try if you haven't alreadybiggrin

• Posted

Thank you so much Louisa.  I havent tried that. I did visit a chinese herbalist who sold me all sorts of foul smelling stuff which had nil effect but didnt mention ginger.  I'll most certainly give that a try.  I always have ginger in the house for cooking curries and I like the idea of a natural remedy with no chemicals in it.  Thanks so much for your reply.
    • Posted

The link was removed by the site moderators unfortunately but i'll google about ginger and hair loss and probably find it anyway.  Thanks again
  • Posted

I too have thinning hair,exacerbated by cit..no I don't think there is a cure ..like you it depresses me ..I guess I either buy a wig or put up with it ..lotions as you say don't work..camouflage  with dry shampoo can't remember the name helps a little ..thers a company called MANE..they do colour sprays..I know make up artists on the TV use their products ..you have to be careful you get the right colour ..I feel for you ..I get very dr pressed too which of course doesn't help
    • Posted

so sorry you're having a similar problem pat.  I do use volumisers and hair thickening products which help a little but my hair never looks anything but scruffy and patchy and I feel devastated looking at previous photos of myself and seeing the difference.  I cant face wearing a wig regardless of how bad it is.  I've been told its hereditary hair loss but all my family had lovely hair so that's complete bxxxxxs!  There must be internal chemical reasons for why some women have this problem and others dont, otherwise why would the cit have caused it in the first place.  I'm going to try the ginger recommendation from louisa and see if that helps.
    • Posted

I agree about the wig so far !! ..hair loss in my family is hereditary..the women on my side inherit it from the males on my mothers side of the family..my son started to lose his hair at 25 ..so sadly I have to come to terms with it until a cure is found 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up