Hair loss

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies!

are any of you losing hair like crazy or is just me ?! I'm 46 and we'll ever since my cylcles became irregular well my hair falls a lot along with all the anxiety & the other madness…! If you girls have any suggestions or just want share or story please do so, hugs!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

What I have personally found is that progesterone is the one thing that not only stops my hair from falling out, but it also makes it thicker, stronger, and it feels more normal.

That's just my system, but there is some study support for this.

Irregular periods my be your clue that you are lacking progesterone in perimenopause.  This is very normal, as we ovulate more infrequently as we age and get closer to menopause.     

• Posted

Hi & thanks for your reply! So how do get progesterone?!  Is it prescribed?! Or something you can get over the counter ? 

• Posted

Hi, I should be post menapausal,59 but my hair is still falling out.It all started when I was around 50 and hit the menapause and apart from everything else my hair continues to fall out. It's so thin, dry and frizzy when it was fine but thick and I never gave it a second thought. I find it all over my clothes, furniture and the floor. I also associate it to the mood swings, anxiety and IBS which seem to be related.I can't suggest anything sadly. xx 

• Posted

Hi, biotin works well to quell the falling out of hair. It will also strengthen it as well as your nails.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info, my nail are dry and flaky too.
    • Posted

Yw, hun. It won't take long for you to see results either. 2-3 weeks maybe less.

• Posted

Hi Carmen, yes get biotin but also get vitamin d3. It will help lift your spirits, it's called the sunshine pill for good reason, and it will get you out of bed. Start with 3x the recommended dosage 2-3 days/week for 1 week, then double the next week then single doses after that. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Yes I have vitamin d3. I'm taking 2000 units right now. Last year my vitamin d was at 13. It's 23.8 right now. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Get your vitamin D3 checked I have low vit D and that makes my hair fall out
    • Posted

I just had my checked and it is low as well. I noticed a change in my hair and I started getting tired again can't get out of bed.

• Posted

Actually I do have low vitamin D… I will start taking it ASAP
  • Posted

I take D3, fish oil but when I started to see more hair in the shower I added a hair, skin and nails vitamin (biotin).   I also switched shampoos which also made a difference and paid attention to what I was eating!
    • Posted

I also was anemic at that time so I also took an iron pill..  Low iron  causes hair loss.  Had my blood work done a few months ago and iron levels were ok but I still take an iron pill once or twice a week.  I also try to eat more foods with iron, spinich, blk eyed peas, red meat, etc...   I know I won't ever have thick hair but just want to  keep the hair I have. And to keep new growth coming in..

• Posted

You can get it over the counter in most health food stores.  But start low and go slow.  Since you are having periods, it would be recommended that you only take it for 14 days a month at the end of your cycle.  Again, start low and go slow.  Too much can cause some women to feel depressed.  

Hope it helps.  It makes a tremendous difference in my hair. 

• Posted

Thanks so much I'm sure going to try it too & pray it works. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.