hair loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I posted before about hair loss with Citalopram...

Im only on 10mg and I am noticing lots of hair coming out. My GP thinks its to do with my iron level which is now increasing due to iron tablets, my psychiatrist thinks its  to do with my anxiety... I also take diazapam and have just started taking pregablin , but I also take 10mg of propananol a day... 

I was on mirtazapine but Ive stopped that now... why am i

loosing soo much hair.. Ive been using hair vitamins too

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raj, you are on quite a few meds, have you checked for interactions? A few years back I was on diazapan and propranol, plus anti sickness and muscle relaxants and do not recall hairloss. But then meds can affect people differently. My son is on a strong short term acne medicatication and this can cause hairloss as this med dries the skin out. Sorry I couldnt be more help.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

You know most of those meds you take cause hair loss..with the exception of the diazapam.. number three on the list for hair loss due to a medication are beta blockers..
    Report Reply
    • Posted

hi lois, im a vegetarian and have been most of my life but its only since Ive been hit with the anxiety and meds that my hair is falling out. The pharmacist said that as I am only on a low dose of propananol it cant be the cause... Ive also noticed that my hair growth is really slow... Even my eyebrows are barely growing.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Low doses high doses of any meds ..Raj you have to take into consideration that you been a vegetarian taking low doses of beta blockers ..could play a part...why do you take propanol if you don't have high blood pressure..I know it's for slowing down your anxiety .but isn't all the other Medications you take enough..pardon my intake..

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Raj, my son started losing hair around time of his University exams and has been anxious throughout Uni. Plus now he is on short-term meds for acne. I looked into all this for him and between us he has changed his diet, uses special shampoos and hair treatments. He loves the gym and was taking a high protein supplement 6 times a day, when I looked into the supplement it says can cause hairloss. I have taught him how to deal with anxiety and he is alot better these days, and now he has some hair growing back. Its taken time though.
      Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi Lois, The other meds I take dont seem to sort out thepalpitations or shaking... I had my thyroid checked, it showed it was fine...

I am going to be left with no hair if it dont stop... 

Report Reply
    • Posted

So what do you think is the culprit here ..either you have heart palpitations with no hair lost or the opposite.. there's pros and cons to these type of drug cocktails..I would change to a different beta blocker if I was you..

Report Reply
    • Posted

I asked the psychiatrist to try me on a different one... he said no!! 

Im going to

my GP next to see if they can change me...

Ive gone from 3 beta blockers a day to just one, I tried taking just half of one but i still needed more...

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Raj!

?I've had more hair falling out than what is usual for me since March. I do think mine is due to anxiety: I tend to run my fingers through my hair when my anxiety is high. I've been on Citalopram for 5 years up until day (switched meds today), so I don't think it's a direct cause of taking Citalopram; the hair falling out thing showed up when the Citalopram started to become less effective.

?If you haven't yet, you may want to have blood work done to check thyroid levels and hormone levels, just to rule all that out.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hi kelly, i did blood work last month...my iron was intially down but it has got better with me taking the iron tablets.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up