Hair loss

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm sure others have posted about this, but are any of you experiencing hair loss? I am 47 and within the past six months my hair has been falling out in the shower to the point where it is getting noticeably thinner. My hair texture is also coarser and dry and seems to be breaking. At first I thought it was hair dye so I didn't dye my hair for about a year. Now I think maybe it's just changing hormones although I also do have low iron levels that I'm trying to get back up. Along with this I also have scabbing and irritation on my scalp, which the dermatologist says is seborrheic dermatitis. I do not want to be bald. When will the hair loss stop? ?Does HRT help restore lost hair?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, oh yes hair loss and hair growth. Hair seems to be growing in the wrong places , chin, knuckles etc and dropping from head. I have been loosing a lot of my hair too. It is so upsetting. I cannot take HRT. Apart from some vitamin supplements I don't take anything else. I recently started to taking biotin after being suggested by a few people in different forums my hair seems to be improving and looking fuller again. Perhaps look into biotin and try. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I am 53 and when I was about your age (maybe a year or two younger) I had awful shedding of my hair. I remember being so freaked out that I called my mother in tears. I have to say that on its own it eventually subsided but it did get noticably (to me) thinner on the sides near my temples (and still is). I have heard good things about Nutrafol but haven't tried it myself.

I didn't have any of the scalp issues that you write about but I did become super sensitive to hair dye around the same time. It started to burn my scalp and I also started to get a scratchy feeling in my throat which really scared me. So, I researched the web and found a professional hair dye that is formulated differently to be less allergic. It's called Wella Innosense. My hairdresser orders it for me and uses it now when I come in for color. So far so good.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

It's interesting that you mention hair dye. I stopped dyeing my hair two years ago because it started to burn so bad. I now look like an old spinster with my grey hair!

• Posted

me too! I used to go every 6-8wks...never bothered me. have not been in a year...last time...tingling, burning while I was under the dryer. I just buy the amonia free stuff at the store. I wear cloth headbands a lot anyways so my forehead greys are hidden. Feel too lousy to even go for a haircut...just trim it myself.

• Posted

Once you get past the roots stage, it actually looks nice. I am nearly two years no dye and don't think I will ever go back. If Sarah Harris (Vogue UK) can rock grey hair, so can I. Now, if I was only tall and skinny like her!

• Edited

Yes my hair is thinner too. I have pulled out several 'rats' from my drain.. I try to eat foods and take supplements that claim to help my hair. I have also switched shampoos and put a hair mask in my hair as often as I can. Not sure it does anything but I feel good knowing that I'm trying. : )

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I have had very bad hair loss twice for two different reasons. The first time was when I stopped my birth control pill. With the sudden drop in hormones I had a huge shed; but that is very normal. In about a year, my hair was back.

The second time I shed massively was when, like you, I was low on iron and other vitamins. This shed went on and off for literally years because I had an intestinal ulcer that went undiagnosed and I wasn't absorbing a lot of my the nutrients from my food. Have you had your other vitamin / mineral levels checked? I was low on iron, D and zinc as well. Once I started supplementing my vitamins my hair came back.

I will say that now that I am not a vegetarian and eat a paleo diet, my hair is almost the thickest it has ever been. I must have been low on iron and D for years without knowing.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I have had very bad hair loss twice for two different reasons. The first time was when I stopped my birth control pill. With the sudden drop in hormones I had a huge shed; but that is very normal. In about a year, my hair was back.

The second time I shed massively was when, like you, I was low on iron and other vitamins. This shed went on and off for literally years because I had an intestinal ulcer that went undiagnosed and I wasn't absorbing a lot of my the nutrients from my food. Have you had your other vitamin / mineral levels checked? I was low on iron, D and zinc as well. Once I started supplementing my vitamins my hair came back.

I will say that now that I am not a vegetarian and eat a paleo diet, my hair is almost the thickest it has ever been. I must have been low on iron and D for years without knowing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.