hallux valgus fusion of mtp joint

Posted , 22 users are following.

I am due to have an op on my hallux valgus next week, the mtp joint us going to be fused, I do a lot of walking & am worried I will not be able to keep this up once I've recovered. I walk up to 8-10 miles, anyone any experience of this? 

2 likes, 48 replies

Report / Delete

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fiona, it will be one year next month since my bilateral bunion surgery and fusion of both big toes and two other toes on my left foot and one additional toe on the right foot.  In three months I was playing golf again and jogging by the fourth month.  Just make sure you follow your surgeon's instructions without exception.  Be patient, it will be a very slow and frustrating recovery.  The fusion of the big toes hasn't given me any trouble at all, but I still have trouble walking down stairs because of the fusion of my smaller toes.  I suspect it will always be that way but I have learned to live with it.  Whenever I look at my feet, I'd do it all over again.  I went shoe shopping last week, and the sales clerk told me I have beautiful feet.  I could have cried.  Good luck, stay calm, know it will take a long time to recover, and enlist help.  Cook some meals ahead of time and get some good books and movies.  Be sure and take your meds before the anesthesia wears off and elevate, elevate, elevate!  It's not as bad as you've heard but don't push it and do what your doctors says.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Lynn did you have anything done to your third toe? I had, I think, pretty much the same surgery.  My Dr. did a release on the third toe and I have had more pain in that toe than either one of the others.  I had my surgery on Nov 4 and was wearing real shoes at nine weeks.  I have 3 plates and 13 screws.  I had pins in the other 2 toes which were removed at 3 weeks.  I am still experiencing a little swelling and stiffness but the third toe is pretty sore and just doesn't feel right.  Have you had any problems such as this? 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Wanda, I don't know the name of the procedure I had either.  I had the bunions on both feet removed, both big toes fused, and plates on the tops of both feet to hold the bones in correct alignment.  Then the three middle toes on the left foot had tendon release and were fused instead of putting in pins. I have had absolutely no problem with the big toes, but the three other toes are stiff which makes it uncomfortable to walk down stairs.  It has gotten better over the last few months but I know I will never regain the flexibility I originally had because of the fusion.  My bunions and hammertoe so were so bad that the surgeon said this was the only way he could promise the procedure wouldn't have to eventually be redone.  My other foot only had tendon release on the two toes next to the big toe.  I haven't had much trouble from them other than the expected stiffness because of the fusion.  I have found that shoes with a lot of padding are more comfortable, such as running shoes.  Even with all this, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I just bought my first pair of low heels and they are comfortable so I know I must be making progress.  I was told it would take a full year for my feet to heal completely.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds like you are doing great. That is wonderful.  I need the other foot done, too, but my doctor wouldn't do both at the same time.  My second toe is fused also but not the third one.  I got infection the week after surgery and I am thinking this problem may be the tissue that was damaged from that and if so it may take a long time to rejuvinate.  I am 200 miles from my doctor so I will wait until I go back in 3 weeks and see what he has to say.  Otherwise my foot feels wonderful.  First time in many years I have had NO bunion pain.  Things will only get better for both of us.  Thanks.....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No, they don't hurt at all and haven't for a long time. I started playing golf three months after surgery and running about 4 months after my surgery with no discomfort. The only problem for me was and is going downstairs if I'm barefooted. Since my toes don't bend, it's awkward, but if I'm wearing shoes, there's no problem. Yes, I can walk as far and long as I want without pain. I do find wearing heels more than about an inch uncomfortable but that could be because I also had the big toes fused. But honestly, it's a small price to pay for pretty, painless feet.  Good luck!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm 5 and a half months post op of second toe fusion.I'm still getting used to my toe and my toe is still experiencing some pain. I'm hoping the pain will go away and this is just part of healing.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi Holly im 1yrs post opi had a bunion removal and my second toe fused i have pain under my toes on my sole some days is worse than others ,i still get slight swelling on the top of my foot  and the fused toe still feels a little bit numb,the bunion part for me is fine ...shoes i cannot wear any heeled shoes or any of my old shoes luckly for me i am able to wear my flat boots im thinking of going back to my doctors to have it checked out ..while in recovery i broke my foot but i dont know how this came about,would i have it done again yes,yes.yes, i would bunion and hammer toe pain is so painfull at least i can and do walk in trainers up to 3mls a day with a little discomfort but nothing like it was ,hope this helps ...
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That was the most encouraging post I've read since I had my 1st one done 4 1/2 weeks ago. I'm getting the second one done soon, and I would like to continue marathon running, and complete a 100 mile Ultra. Did a 50 mile 2 months ago, before surgery

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Fiona,

I'm 13 weeks post-op Hallus Valgus surgery...I still have considerable swelling and lots of pain when I walk.  I have 2 pins in my big toe and one in my second toe...It still feels like I have a huge metal rod in my foot (with lots of stiffness) when I walk.  I walked for 15 minutes today which is the most I've walked since the surgery.  The pain in my toe was very annoying before I had the surgery but considerably worse now.

My advice is to cancel the surgery unless you absolutely need it because of major pain or the inability to walk at all.  I certainly would never have had the surgery if I knew I would feel this bad.

Good luck

Richard

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Richard

your experience sounds pretty horrible but this is not experience of all people who had this surgery and it seems to me that perhaps consulting with a physio may be helpful.  I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and I dont have the level of pain and stiffness you describe but my solution has been possibly the opposite to yours as I move as much as possible,  exercise a little (sitting yoga and simple foot and toes exercises) and generally take it with as positive attitude as possible every single day.  This kind of surgery is usually only performed when people complain that they cannot take the pain any more,  it does help but it is not without difficulty and it can never render a person perfectly healthy as it alteres the way the toes move (or don't).  

And my foot looks amazing already,  it is straight and so narrow 

all the best Richard

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Mishe,

You are certainly right...everybody's experience is different.  And as to your comment about movement, I swim 1 1/2 miles EVERY day to stretch out my toes and give me as much flexibility as possible.  I do EVERYTHING I can to improve my situation.  It's important to remember that everyone's situation is different...that's the key point to be made...this surgery is obviously not the panacea for perfection...and by the way, my toe is perfectly straight...it doesn't change the fact that I still can't walk barefoot and have considerable pain.

I'm just writing my experience to be helpful to other people

best of luck

Richard

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Richard

By no means I implied that you are not helping yourself in any way you know how and it is great that you swim,  unfortunatelly swimming does very little for feet and specially toes.  At best you wil move your ankle but the rest of your foot does not work much while swimming.  Please consider seeing a physio and establishing a program just for your feet as it seems that you may benefit from specific feet and toes exercises. One of those would be scranching a fabric of any sort (tea towel for example) with your toes, another one is picking up a small, fabric bag filled with rice or beans with your toes,   another one (it that is possible for you) would be walking bear feet on the sand (beech is perfect if you can access one). Those exercises saved my feet and toes from a lot of stiffness and pain through out all my life. 

All the best Richard

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Mishe,

You are VERY wrong about swimming not helping my situation...the pressure of the water and the movement of my feet in the water has increased my flexibility tremendously and has reduced the considerable swelling I have...as a matter of fact, it's the only activity that has really helped my foot.  I would recommend all people with this surgery swim every day if they can.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Swimming is great Richard and it does help many things but it is not targeting your feet sufficiently and I am making this statement based on your first post

"My advice is to cancel the surgery unless you absolutely need it because of major pain or the inability to walk at all.  I certainly would never have had the surgery if I knew I would feel this bad."

At this point Richard I am going to stop responding to your posts but I will say that:  I had my first foot surgery at the age of 2 and a half and this was followed by a number of further foot surgeries.  My opinions are based on extensive experience which led to being active all my life despite surgeries (swimming, yoga, Pilates, horse riding, skiing, sailing all those things are great general type of exercises but they do not target specific areas unless you develop a program to do so).  If you feel that you know more or your way of recovery it better for you,  please continue doing what ever you are doing just perhaps refrain from making rather strong remarks as you did in your first post as your expereince is largely dictated by your management of recovery not by surgery itself.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi. I was recommended by my physio that swimming would be good for recovery. Also, walking along the bottom of the pool would strengthen feet. Obviously, you must make sure that your wounds are cometely healed. This should be a part of an exercise regime designed for feet.

My feet were both great at 6 weeks but I am now 14 weeks and I am having a bit if difficulty with the hammer toe correction. The toe has not fully settled and feels more 'solid' than previously.. This is probably due to a lot of extra exercise. I saw my consultant last week and I will see him again in another 3 weeks

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that Richard, I have spoken to my surgeon today & he says as long as I wait til my foot has healed properly there shouldn't be a problem, so I'm going ahead with it. Hope your pain subsides soon, good luck
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up