Halos following cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had cataract surgery yesterday and this morning I can see halos with my operated eye

Is this normal and what should I expect during my recovery?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ed03050 - yes this is normal.  Your pupil was dilated for the surgery and it takes time for that and the eye to heal.  For some the vision is clear within hours but for others it takes longer.  You should have been given drops (antibiotic and steroid or NSAID).  The antibiotic drops typically are for a week whereas the steroid drops continue for 4 minimum.   Some are affected by the steroid drops and have blurry vision during that time.

You should have a 24 hour checkup with your surgeon to check your vision today.

Did the surgeon’s office or hospital provide you with a sheet of instructions?

Basically you should have been provided with a plastic eye guard which should be taped to your eye whenever you have a nap and overnight for a week.  This prevents any eye rubbing etc.  I wore mine for 2 weeks as I am notorious for rubbing my eyes.

Also on that sheet - you shouldn’t be bending over or lifting anything heavy first few days and no strenuous activity (walking fine but if you are a runner or biker you discontinue those activities for awhile.  Also avoid getting any water into your eye first few days.

Good luck to you for a successful recovery.

• Posted

Sue

Thank you for your feedback.  I've got an appointment with the surgeon this morning

Thx again

• Posted

Hi Ed, halos are quite common and for me have been there since my op. I had op about 18 month ago and at first halos were bad but only see them now if i am in a darkish room with a small light on like a lamp. It does not bother me now and most importantly for me is i can now drive in the dark comfortably wheres before it was a struggle. I would expect you to have halos for good now, its just a case of getting used to them and the more your brain gets used to them the less likely you will notice them. 
  • Posted

I have the same halo in the eye. trying to get used to it. but can see so worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.