Hard stools - or something else?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have not been able to fully evacuate my bowels for about 4 months now as it feels as though there's something that's 'stuck'. I also feel hot and clammy all the time, feel bloated and gassy - and sometimes I can't go to the toilet at all. My stools are normally runny, or ribbon-like and i feel really fatigued all the time. Recently, my back has started aching and I have pelvic pain, too.

After about six weeks, I went to see my GP, who sent me for an ultrasound, stool sample and blood tests - all came back normal. I had an ultrasound of my abdomen to check for gallstones and this came back negative as well.

I had an x-ray of my abdomen and the doctor said there was a buildup of feces in my upper colon, so I was prescribed some laxido. I took this as per the directions and changed my diet, but I'm still not able to evacuate my bowels fully. I think I am just starting to get a bit worried, because I feel if it was a hard stool that had become stuck, hopefully the laxido and dietary changes would be enough to fix this.

I'm female and 25 and this has come put of nowhere; prior to this I have never struggled with constipation. I exercise regularly and am otherwise healthy. I do struggle with depression and I have recently changed job and moved (though this was after my symptoms started), so I wonder if this has triggered it.

I saw my GP last week and they booked me for another x-ray of my abdomen, which will take a couple of weeks to come through. I have another appointment This Friday and I'm not sure whether to ask for a colonoscopy to rule out anything serious.

Thanks so much for your help

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.