Hard to believe it's anxiety causing symptoms

Posted , 9 users are following.

does anyone else have symptoms so real, that they find it impossible to believe it's anxiety causing it? 

Replies would ve be really appreciated right now, I'm not in a good place and it's affecting every part of my life and alcohol is becoming a big problem also. And a list of anyone symptoms too so that I know I'm not the only one sad 

xxx

0 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rhianna

Anxiety can lead you to believe you have symptoms that aren't actually there. Many people complain about chest pains, heavy legs and more. Personally, I have been to the hospital twice for heart palpitations as I thought I had a dodgy ticker. All kinds of silly thoughts went through my mind like, "Im not going to see he birth of my daughter " or "if I go to sleep I'll not wake up".

You could write down 10 of your worst fears in life and the chances are, at least 9 of them won't ever happen. As part of this condition, we tend to project negative thoughts which makes us even more anxious. The fact is simple, there's genuinely nothing wrong with you (other than a slight chemical imbalance that can be treated) and these racing thoughts can be altered. Once you can grasp this concept and seek treatment that works for you and your body, you will be fine.

Alcohol does not help anxiety as it is a natural depressant. I completely see the logic as to how it makes you feel better for a short time, but it is the worst route to take. It will make you worse and is a slippery slope and vicious cycle.

I would suggest that no one writes down a list of symptoms on this thread as you will probably think of have all of them lol.

You're not alone and this is very common, especially in modern living and the stresses it can bring. Hopefully you can take some comfort in the above and know that you can get over this.

Are you on any meds?

Tom

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hiya thank you for replying! Yeah I've got an amazing boyfriend and he treats me so well and iv really found love with him and I keep thinking i ain't ganna be with him much longer becos I'll die. Im so scared! And I don't no how to deal with the alcohol thing now! I'm just a serious mess andi need help. I've been on fluoxetine 40 mg for 4 years but they suddenly stopped working... I'm now on 20mg fluoxetine and 10 mg mirazapine! Been on them a month now xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Rihanna I think we're really similar, I spent s good 5 months making myself worse because I didn't believe it was anxiety, but once you make yourself believe all the physical symptoms IS anxiety, they get a tiny bit better, you have to keep telling yourself every single day yes it's anxiety yes it's anxiety. I know it's so hard to believe , it took me such a long time and I still feel like no one properly understands unless you've been through it.

It's affecting all aspects of my life, I don't want a boyfriend, I don't want friends, I just want to be in bed all day on my own. Alcohol is our worst enemy. I decided 3 days ago I'm giving it up for good so I've been 3 days sober, each day I feel a tiny bit better without it, each time I get drunk I just go a thousand steps back, alcohol helps us for that period of time but the hangovers I get are just not worth it, my anxiety is sky high once the alcohol leaves my system, we can do this we will beat it xxxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

just over a month ago I didn't come out of my bed for a week sad I had to be signed off work becos I couldn't leave the house!!! I'm still finding it hard to leave the house when I'm sober so I usually have a glass of wine before I go out at night... Works ok becos everyone knows what I'm going through so they're quite understanding!!! But how do I know that I'm not the one person who suffers from health anxiety that actually does have something wrong with me rolleyes I'm so scared xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

i completely know what you mean, i only believed it was anxiety after i got EVERYTHING checked. i had an MRI, echogram, 24 heart monitor, blood pressure checked, about 6 blood tests!! and there wasnt much more they could check, and my symptoms fit anxiety perfectly. so only you can make yourself believe its anxiety, and they only way i did was by getting every single part of my body checked by different doctors, then once youve ruled everything out youre left with anxiety, xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

So do you think I insist that everything is checked? I think I'm too scared to do that though because obviously the fact that iv drunk a lot I'm scared my liver will be messed up sad xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

yeahhhh, i just insisted, and i went to every doctor there was to check my whole body was okay, and everything came back 100 percent normal. and i know its not, so the only explanation is anxiety. but i wouldnt just accept oh its anxiety if one doctor told me. i had to get reassurance from everyone!

but only people with anxiety would understand that, anyone else would just be like well just accept it straight from the start!! but we dont think like everyone else do we lol

me too, i have been binge drinking for 5 years, i would have half a litre of vodka each time i went out, and black out every night. but i had my liver tested and apparently its okay!!

apparently you need to be drinking ALOT of alcohol for damage to happen, and we are still fairly young. i dont crave alcohol anymore, i literally just wish it didnt exist, i hate what its done to me, but the effects of it AT THE TIME are so good, but the days/ weeks after, just arent worth it. when im hungover i geniinely think im going to die! my whole body shakes. that just shows how much im drinking! and if im okay youll be okay too ! xxxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've been drinking a bottle - a bottle and a bit of wine every night for 4 years, with the odd month or two where I'd stopped! I had my liver checked last year, enzymes were slightly elevated but they said it was becos of the cold I had and it was so slight that there was absolutely nothing to worry about. And yeah I know I get sooo embarassed in front of my boyfriend, I've only been with him 4 months and he's had to see all this, I had my first panic attack in yearsssss in front of him abut2 months ago!! So we'd only been together 2 months, he literally laid with me every night while I slept becos I didnt wanna get out of bed... He's so lovely and that's whats scaring me a- that I'm ganna push him away or b- I grnuinly am ill and I'm going to leave him ... Either way I lose him!!! I hate this feeling I just want it to go away!!! I just wish I could accept it was anxiety!!! But my head always goes weird and I feel like I'm moving when I'm not and my arms and legs go weak ... I'm convinced that I either have cancer, a neurological disease or liver disease! Anything life threatening!! sad xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have been to the ER and my family doc over 20 times in the past month because of symptoms I could swear were real. They have investigated everything and found nothing wrong with my health. It's true- the day I decided to admit that it was anxiety, I felt a little better. Not all the way better, mind you, but the crippling fear and dread eased up a little. Same as was said above, each day that you tell yourself "it's only anxiety, and anxiety CANNOT hurt me" you'll feel a little better. However, MOST anxiety (if not caused by a life event) is due to a chemical imbalance in your brain. The best way to combat this is psychiatric care, whether counseling or prescriptions. Do NOT be ashamed to need either. Diabetics need insulin to keep their pancreas in check- we that suffer from anxiety sometimes need an SSRI or SNRI to keep our brains in check. Same concept, different organ. Get help from a medical professional. Preferably one with a soft wart, who is willing to work with you and doesn't mind those late-night phone calls when you need someone to talk to.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

"Do NOT be ashamed to need either. Diabetics need insulin to keep their pancreas in check- we that suffer from anxiety sometimes need an SSRI or SNRI to keep our brains in check. Same concept, different organ."

Absolutely love that, well said xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've been on Prozac for over 4 years now but they stopped working sad ... They've now got me on 20mg of what I was already in and 15mg mirazapine! I just believe truly that I am dying I really do xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I personally take Citalopram (20mg) and it works wonders for me! The doc also gave me Propanolol (beta blockers) which also take the edge off the anxiety if and when it rears its ugly little head!

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety at the age of 16 (now 28) and have an extremely well paid, but stressful job, a 5 month old daughter and have just bought a house. Prof that it doesn't have to stop you from doing what you want to do smile

You will beat this

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes hunny anxiety feels extremely real. Ur not alone. U can convince ur self of all kinds of things. That's y they say it's mind over matter. I have thought everything from I'm having a heart attack , to I have a brain tumor cause I was having ear problems and the list is endless . never think that u r alone. I just found this site yesterday and knowing that other ppl feel like I have makes me feel so much better. I haven't turned to alcohol but I have turned to my xanax and rely on it daily. Ur mind can b ur on worst enemy. I have been living with anxiety Since I was in middle school and I'm now 35.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello love, sorry iv only just seen this!!! I am convinced I have a neurological disease or something! I sit there so detached from everyone cause I'm so scared of dying on the spot but there's no point in worrying because if it's ganna happen it will happen and deep down I know that. I also know that if I was dying on the spot I wouldn't have much of a chance to get anxious over it . So it's mad I just have had enough!!! Symptoms are real but they all disappear when im drunk so I shud remember that xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up