Hardware removal footwear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi just wondering what those of you who have had orif ankle hardware removal wore home from the hospital --that is to say you were not put in a cast again. My ortho surgeon said he would just put the dressing on ankle, so I'm wanting some advice on what to wear on the one foot my other foot will be in my boot cast as I am getting mallet toe correction w/ a wire rod at the same time, my doc also assured me I would be mostly mobile*praying so!* also what was your removal experience like ie. anaesthesia, and post op pain. Thanks!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenna

I had my metalwork removed on 14th September this year and I wore a trainer on my good foot and the hospital gave me one of those Velcro show things for the other one and had elbow crutches too. Good luck with your op.

• Posted

Thank you

Were you in any pain prior to removal? Mine has occasional pain but since the weather has gotten cold again its been more regular. I got my pins in back in Dec. Hopefully I will get the rest if my ROM back although it has been really good .

• Posted

Hi

Yes was in quite a lot of pain and constantly taking painkillers and range of movement wasn't great which is why they suggested removal. I had surgery at 2.30pm and was back home 5 hours later.

I started back at work this morning. Since the op im definitely in less Pain then before and my range of movement is improving. It's still swelling up but hoping as time goes by that will improve.

• Posted

Hope all continues to go well for you. All the best to your healing.

I am thinking of asking for prescribed running shoes or something along that line

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.