Has anybody felt suicidal ?

Posted , 24 users are following.

Not to be morbid but just wondering with all these hormone changes if anybody has felt this way ? I only bring it up as it’s happened to me and I know it will pass and we’ll all feel better one day but when you are so desperate that it crosses your mind ... you know you’re not in a good place . 

4 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lori93950

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Lori, I’m so sorry you feel this way. Please know that you are not alone! I’m here for you anytime you need to reach out. Never ever seek a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Do you have a doctor you trust? You must ask for help and be brutally honest about your feelings. Exercise has been helping me. It’s a healthy distraction and I always feel better after. Remember this is a normal phase of life as a woman...a chapter. There will be happy and healthy years to come! Sending you hugs and positive vibes!!
    • Posted

Hi Teri 

Yes I work out a lot and was actually working out too much which I think was partly to do with hormones and adrenals . I think if I can get on a better sleep pattern so I’m not so exhausted and maybe go out at night and socialize  ... may feel better . Sometimes it doesn’t matter how many people you are around though you still feel lonely . 

• Posted

Yes Lori, I have as well.  I turn 45 next week and I started this peri journey at the age of 40 after I miscarried twins.  Double whammy!  These hormones wreck havoc with our bodies and our minds.  I keep telling myself "this too shall pass".  Hang in there.  xoxo

• Posted

Wow they called you out on that fast didnt they? Everyone is so sensitive about the mention of suicide these days. I understand where you are coming from. Im pretty sure that it crosses all of our minds in some way. In mine I have felt so bad I just wish I could sleep for the rest of my life or until this process is over. I have been going through this for several years and it gets horrible and then it gets better. But then it will get horrible again. I have no support at all so I had to figure out a way to get through it by myself. Please find a passion of yours...crafts, gardening..something that will give you some focus. I know you feel bad and feel sick most of the time if your like me but I promise there is still life to live. There will be some bright days and hopefully soon you will foresee the bad ones coming and will know how to deal with it. Message me anytime if you need someone to talk to. 

• Posted

Lori, please seek medical attention. Something more sinister maybe going on while transitioning into this new phase. While the feeling of doom & gloom is normal, suicide is one that is taken seriously such that medication is administered, either with hrt or some other pill. Please seek medical attention immediately.

• Posted

I have NOT experienced that. Low feeling, but never have I been in those depths. I'm glad the moderator has chimed in. You should see someone about it. Know that it will pass as it is probably hormone or medication related, so don't let it overwhelm you, BUT it needs to be helped by a professional. It will be OK and they have the proper resources for you. Thinking of you 💖

• Posted

Hi Lori,

Yes, I can absolutely relate. The hormone changes of perimenopause have affected me dramatically, and it is so difficult to get a handle on your emotions. 

Through this process, I have definitely had those thoughts, as it is so difficult to live with deep depression, anxiety, and fear. What I always see, though, is that no matter how dark I may feel in a given moment, those feelings always shift. Sometimes the mood change is quick (even minutes or seconds), but at other times it takes longer. When I have a thought about taking my life, when the symptoms become difficult to bear, I am so glad that I didn't because I always end up feeling well again.

I am under the care of a psychiatrist who is supporting me through this process, so I know how terribly difficult it can be. The important thing to remember is that it is a phase of life, and it will change.

Deep breathing and saying "in" and "out" help to center you. I also use mantras, such as: "This feeling is temporary" or "You are strong enough to handle anything that comes your way".

When I feel filled with despair, I go back and remember the last time that I felt happy, and I relive that experience in the most detailed way that I can. Last weekend, for example, I went on a cycling trip with my boyfriend, and we stayed in a tiny house on an organic farm. Although I had been feeling very despondent, when I arrived at the farm with all of the animals, a profound sense of peace came over me, and I was so happy and satisfied. I basked in that time, and I recognized that this happy person is who I am, and this part of me is always right under the surface waiting to show herself to the world. 

Reaching out to the women on this forum is immense support, so keep doing that. Know that other women out there are going through similar feelings to you. It helps so much to know that you are not alone!

You will get through this Lori, and you will be so glad that you did, when you make it to the other side where calm waters await you.

Sending you much love and understanding.

B xo

• Posted

Nature does this for me, also.  It always has but gives me hope now as aging sets in. 
  • Posted

Lori, have you recently started taking any new medication? Feeling like this can be a side effect.  
    • Posted

Yes HRT patch ? But it’s actually helping with some of the fatigue and really helped with the dizziness and anxiety. But this LOW feeling boy .... 

I think too I’m lonely just got divorced and can’t make plans with anybody as I get so tired at night . 

• Posted

Hi Lori...

During my peri journey, I have been so very...so extremely...low in my feelings that it scared me. I sought help because I was scared of feeling so low. Just the word Suicide has always scared me. I didn't want to get to the point where it ever entered my thoughts. With much talk therapy with my doctors (gp and gyne)my family, friends, and God...I came to realize that my thoughts were coming from fear of change, of what is a natural chapter in our lives. I was thinking about it in my go-to negative way...all or nothing. Please don't choose a permanent solution to a temporary issue.

Things will get better. I love "chatting" with the women on this forum because they make me feel less alone in my fears and I get real help with solutions to getting through this new , but kind of exciting, phase in life. Empathy is everything, we KNOW what these symptoms feel like.

Keep reaching out to us. Take the admin's advice. See it from a different perspective. And know we care, hugs hugs hugs!!!😘

• Posted

I had the same feelings a while ago and I knew for sure it wasn't me this roller coaster of hormones can make you think all sorts of crazy things so I didn't pay attention to them and they eventually leave all I can say you'll be fine your mind can play tricks on you

• Posted

Well thank you for sharing and admitting that Betty ... I swear the subject of meno should be explained to us so that we are better able to handle it and not freak out when we get such thoughts . I have a cat who is my life and my love and an recent ex husband who’s galavanting all over the place in his newly single life whilst I’m left to care for the house and our cat and I can’t just get up and go at a moments notice . I think that’s bugging me too. I know things will turnaround and nothing stays the same. 
    • Posted

I know a lot of newly divorced who act as if life is all that for a season but it ends so quickly and they want the stability of their old life.  Stay true to yourself as you can’t lie to your own soul.  Each decade of life does take time to adjust to.  There are so many good souls looking for another that I’m sure you deserve. It takes a little while to get your footing back with such a life changing event as divorce so give your self time to heal.  It seems things take longer to recover from as we age. Be gentle and kind to yourself right now. Emotional pain can cause extreme fatigue. Meno alone can turn you inside out let alone adding a divorce. Blessings to you on your soul searching journey. May you find peace. 🌻

• Posted

Ah thank you sideways for such kind words . Yes when you’re in the middle of it and fighting it’s almost better than the finale of it all being over . It’s just bad timing all in all of divorce and menopause but I’m sure there’s other women going through tough situations .I just feel so alone sometimes in my little hick town but I’m trying to stay busy but the fatigue kicks my butt thank God for the b vitamins ... they literally have saved my life and given me energy .  I was always a positive person and now realize I’ve only ever been a bit down but never depression.  Praying that something turns up God is good ..... staying positive and I know some day I’ll look back and more than ever will appreciate every little bit of happiness that comes my way !!! Blessings to all the lovely beautiful women on here ... truly a Godsend !!! ❤️❤️❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.