Has anyone come off mirtazapine without tapering?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all omg I feel so I'll. . My pdr told me to come off mirt no tapering .. so shocked me as iv read people's experience with mirt & coming off. I went to see my gp 2days later he was shocked by her instruction but said I'd be over the worse now so not to worry.. its no better I feel so I'll. .my jaw is aching I have no appetite & can't sleep (that's all of a night time) during the day I feel quite crazy like manic & then just go so low.. has anyone else came straight off..?? If do how long will I be experiencing this for.. driving me insane have a constant headache.. thanks for reading ..

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

• Posted

I really really wouldnt jist come off the mirtazapine ... I aint a doctor but my doctor told me to gradually come off them as there is side effects if you just stop them x
    • Posted

Hi yes I thought that too with reading on here .. my pdr was giving me a bad time so couldn't speak up about what I new through the Internet. Cant believe im getting worse x
  • Posted

Well I came off them at 1.5 after being on them 6 months, a year later I'm still having issues. Your best bet (what I should have done) is taper off them right down to zero. Maybe you could reinstate @ 7.5 and go down from there. Going cold turkey off this stuff is madness, the docs have no clue.
    • Posted

Hi joe I'm fine now thankyou . The symptoms lasted about 8 nights ..seem to be worse around the time I used to take them..
  • Posted

Hi sharon.

How are you doing today? Are withdrawals gone? Thank you for answer

• Posted

Hi I'm ok thanks feel like I was never on the horrible stuff.. my suger cravings finally gone too .. so much better on venlafaxine. .how are you?
    • Posted

Well, not that good I would say. Actually I am thinking of coming off Mirtazapine since what I experience is daily total exhaustion, fatigue and also strange feeling like flu like. I don't know what to do :-(
    • Posted

Omg I had the flu every other week too.. as soon as it went I felt like it was back again.. you need to come off it ... I really went I'll with trying so hard to want it to work ..
    • Posted

I have these feeling EVERY SINGLE DAY. It begins in the morning and till like 2pm it is pretty bad. Then it goes a little better but not much. In the evening it seems like it almost go away but in the morning ... it is there again :-(
    • Posted

I'm relying again Theyv just blocked it for some reason. U need to Gt off this now itl only get worse.. I was so scared to go on to venlafaxine bt it's turned out great..
    • Posted

I am so scared that my insomnia will come again :-( ... Together with Mirtazapine 15mg I take also Cipralex (Lexapro) 10mg. I really do have a feeling that Mirtazapine is causing me all the things ...
    • Posted

It most likey is.. I got help with my sleep with zopiclone. . I took it when & needed ..& you will be able to do the same.. stop suffering really you dnt need to x
    • Posted

I will try to get half a dose today ... that means like 7,5mg ... I will see. Hope there will be no cruel withdrawal.
    • Posted

I was on 30 for 4 months & came straight off them.. no tapering.. 8 days later I went on to venlafaxine. . I wanted to wait because I was scared.. bt it's great I have no complaints at all.
    • Posted

What is your illness if u dnt mind me asking
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with GAD ... All happened in November because I was scared of illness, I stopped eating ... stopped sleeping ... bad times ... today it is much better, however I have almost all day nausea, fatigue, this bad ill feeling ... 
    • Posted

Neopenx hi, it's not a good idea to drop 50%, you say youu think you might go to 7.5 mg ... you might get caught badly with wd syndrome.  Best to do no more than a 10% cut every 3-4 weeks to avoid that.

How long have youu been on Mirt and how long have you had the flu like symptoms?  Doesn't sound right, maybe you should speak to your doc' ~ this is actually one of the symptoms folk get when tapering too quickly, hmmm shouldn't have to put up with that.

Best wishes

• Posted

Been on Mirtazapin 11 weeks. Have had flu like symptoms since January and that time I was on Trazodone. Thought Trazodone was the cause but the feelings continue also with Mirtazapine. Maybe all of the sedative ADs cause me these symptoms. Problem is that I really don't know how to do 10% of half of 30mg tablet
    • Posted

These flu like symptoms - so you've had these before Mirt, did you get them right after stopping Trazodone I wonder, the thing is you need to know if it is the withdrawal from Traz' also, it depends on how you stopped Traz?  Did you do a slow taper?  Or just switch to Mirt?  

There are a few of us on this forum trying to help others withdraw in a way as to ease any suffering, the slow method, switching from one AD to another doesn't really work.  However, if you had these flu like symptoms all the time you were taking Traz then that is a different matter, just trying to help.  

So if it is wd from Traz and you add on tapering Mirt by 50% you may well add to any stmptoms you already have ~ just need to work through it really ... but here is a link, on this forum, to withdrawing at a slower method, 10%, just need to switch your prescription from Mirt tablet to Mirt Sol Tabs, should be simple enough, hope this might help you in the long run.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

• Posted

Hi Calmer. Thank you for the answer. Actually the story is a bit longer:

First I was prescribed with Citalopram 20mg - I had been taking it for 3 weeks and then cold turkey and change to Trazodone. After 10 days on Trazodone my problems with ill feeling started. I stayed with Trazodone for 2 months (during this period also Cipralex was added) but then cold turkey and switch to Mirtazapine. All done with advice of pdoc

• Posted

Hi I came off mirt without tapering I was on 30mg for 4 months pdr told me just to come off them to go onto venlafaxine. ..I waited 8 days before going onto ven ..I didn't find WD to bad at all ..just fell a bit off it at the time I would take it each night but I was in bed so didn't bother me on a day to day basis .
    • Posted

Sorry thought this was new discussion ..no sleep again 😐 how are you doin??
    • Posted

Hi Sharon.

Well yesterday it was my 2nd night on 7.5mg instead of 15mg. So far I noticed a bit higher anxiety. I mean that bad feeling in stomach. And also my sleep is worse with plenty of vivid dreams. Right know it is 7:37am here. I am at work and feel pretty tired, fatigued, don't know the right word.

• Posted

Hi ahhhh yes you will do with your sleep being a mess ..how long are you tapering for? I cnt sleep at all atm my aniexty through the roof.. I was given zopiclone after mirt stopped working & thought I'd come off them while away.. doc said itl be easy ..pfffttt ran out about 10 days ago iv had to drink with my meds to make me sleep .didn't last night 😢
    • Posted

Well, to be honest I really hope my sleep will remain at least like it is now. Don't understand your question about tapering. Are you asking for how long I have been tapering? Actually for 2 days. I was on 15mg for almost 3 months and would like to come off of it.
    • Posted

Oh good my doc said 1st 3days are the worst for coming off .. so hopefully he's actually right & youl be fine ..
    • Posted

I cannot believe that since the experience of people here is mostly that WDs start like on 4th or 5th day. 3 weeks ago I also tried to come off cold turkey. I missed my pill for 2 days and ALMOST nothing happened for these 2 days. I am confused. Now I am waiting what will come.
    • Posted

Yer best way.. doc most likely wrong anyway all txt book.
    • Posted

Neogenx

Took 2 weeks for the bad withdrawal to start with me lasted about a week

Still feel sick but that's normal for me will do the next drop next week

S x

• Posted

I hope the taper to 7.5 goes well for you Neogenx, you've had a rough time with the mix of AD's recently.  You'e right, wd symptoms usually start around day 4/5 for some and they change about day 10/11 - many folk have said they didn't taper and were absolutely fine, then BAM, at 2 weeks it really hits, we're all different right?

See how you go, you might be one of the lucky ones, fingers crossed as I hit 'reply' .

• Posted

Hi Calmer.

Thank you for your kind words. Yesterday I took 3rd pill of 7.5mg. It is a little difficult since I only have 30mg pills. First splitting to 15mg is easy. But for 7.5mg I just try to cut it by sharp knife. Anyway, the night was similar to previous one. Plenty of dreams, mild sweating, awake many times. In the morning it was difficult to wake up. I am looking forward to the morning I will get up refreshed :-/

• Posted

Can you get a pill cutter from the Chemist/pharmacy?  Remember you can always make a liquid dilution up and use a syringe to work out the measures, i'll pmessage it to you ... thinking of you x
    • Posted

Thank you a lot for PM. Today my wife arranged for 15mg pills from my pdoc. That means that I can precisely continue on 7.5mg (halving of 15mg). I will see how I do and then will definitely use your syringe way. Thank you once again
    • Posted

We are awaiting your progress neogenx 😊
    • Posted

Hi Neuron, hi all.

Well today it is DAY14 on 7.5mg. Not big changes happened. Actually I cannot say that anything changed. It seems that I am a little less tired but still gaining some weight and feeling a little ... weird ... don!t know how to describe ... like mild flu-like symptoms. But in general I think the progress is OK. Anyway I will wait another 2 weeks

• Posted

Great news Neogenx, I think youu're right to wait 4 weeks after the bigger drop.  Here's to a successful wd, cheers clink clink (coffee cups)
    • Posted

Thank you Calmer. Will keep my status updated
    • Posted

Gonna start wd from mine after I see GP. (I all ready have started, snigger snigger.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.