Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a prolapsed rectum. I have been on 2 waiting lists with very experienced Consultants who both retired before I could have the op! I think I was removed from the waiting list at the last hospital as I wrote to the last retiring Consultant to say how worried I was that she would not be doing the op. She wrote to reassure me but I seem to have been forgotten, this was about 2 years ago I decided to live with the prolapse until it became unbearable. However, when my husband & I have sexual intercourse his penis must push the prolapse up & sometimes poo is pushed out of my rectum. This is so embarrassing & very upsetting for me as I have to change the sheets. I'm sorry to be so explicit. 

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennie, is it definitely a prolapsed rectum or rectocele or both? Are you UK NHS? If so surely there are guidelines for timescales for having the surgery after a consultant has decided that is the next step? I'm not too sure how it works for other countries but I know in the UK there is.

• Posted

Hi Donna

It's a rectocele, I didn't know there was a difference. : )

I am also in the U.K.

I must admit I haven't chased the hospital up as I am frightened to have the op now the Consultant who I had faith in has retired. I know I will have to do something though.

Thanks for replying.

Jennie x

• Posted

Hi jennie,

So sorry to hear that somehow you have got list in the system.

I developed a small prolapse at the back end after I had my first anterior repair with hysterectomy.

I think a kink developed when I was using a pessary before my repair.

As I developed a problem within first few days after the op. I couldn't go without splinting. I was pushing against the front wall of rectum/back wall of vaginas and the spinxter muscle wasn't working at all. It did kind of sort itself as swelling went down, but was left with slight prolapse.

As soon as it started to become even a slight problem I went to GP for referral to consultant; they were very quick as they don't want you taking time off work.

I couldn't empty properly and was nightmare trying to wipe clean and was terrified at work of not being able to get to toilet when I needed to go.

I saw consultant and had my op within 8 weeks, they also re-done the front repair as if had repro lapsed and they reckoned the front was also pulling down the back.

Hope you get something done soon, it's impossible to live a normal life with these prolapse symptoms.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl

Thanks for your reply.

How long ago did you have your second op? I hope you are on the road to recovery.

I must admit I haven't asked my GP  to chase the hospital as I am so frightened that something will go wrong but I know I will have to!

Jennie x

• Posted

Hi jennie

3 years between ops, managed fairly well till they put me on my feet for full shifts in the rush up to Xmas and it gradually failed.

I knew things would only get worse really quick so went straight to GP.

I am 18 months post op this time recovery went great right up until I returned to work at 12 weeks post op, went back to just my 2 basic 5 hour shifts (one of them was split between being on my feet and sitting at checkout), unfortunately they very quickly over a few weeks had me on my feet longer and longer saying to take a seat into self scan area, that didn't really help as impossible to sit when it's busy and it was the rushing about that caused problems with scar tissue.

So anyway not doing as well as first time round, not really sure what is going on as front repair is really strong and holding up this time while back end gets nippy and start to get that dreaded dragging pain after being on my feet for more than an hour or two.

Not sure if it's just that surgery has been done too tight or if back repair will fail sooner rather than later. Definitely think that I should not have been put back on my feet at work.

Pointless looking for alternative work as who is going to employ older women who has had 2 repairs and one of them repeat surgery.

At 57yrs old still hot 9 years to go so doing my best to avoid being on my feet at work, but don't see how repairs are going to last that long.

The repairs can last up to 10 years and even longer with some as long as you avoid lifting anything heavy and try and avoid heavy impact situations at work/home.

Hope you find a solution soon,

Phyl x

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your problem.   I can sympathise with you as my prolapsed bladder keeps pushing on my bowl causing it to prolapse.  It's very worrying as don't know if it does any damage long term..

Im hoping that I will get some treatment as have has three pessaries and none worked.

i hope you get sorted soon....

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your message.

Sorry to hear the pessaries haven't worked, I hope you can also get some treatment soon. 

Jennie x

• Posted

I think having had a hysterectomy doesn't help keeping them in place.

• Posted

Hi Jennie,  I'm really sorry to hear your problems.  I'm recovering from a rectocele operation.  It's early days yet (3 weeks) but so far there's been no pain and my surgeon said it all went very well.  so in my experience the op is nothing to be scared of.  Obviously I don't yet know how things will turn out in the long run but I'm optimistic.

I was just thinking about you being on the NHS list and being forgotten.  Do you have a preferred surgeon in mind - hopefully an experienced Urogynaecologist with experience of pelvic floor surgery?      I did and I made a private appointment to see him in order to ensure that I could be put on his list in the NHS and wasn't forgotten about.  I know not everyone can afford to pay for a private consultation but I considered it money well spent.  I wasn't prepared to take any chances once I knew who I wanted.

• Posted

Hello Jean

I'm pleased to hear you are doing well after your op, I hope you continue to improve.

Yes, I researched both Consultants I have seen (now retired) , the first one was in London, I live near Bristol. When he retired I found the next one in Bristol. I was on her list but a few months before the op date she wrote to me to say she was also retiring from the NHS. 

Your suggestion is a great one & I will start researching again. I hadn't thought about going privately for the first appointment. 

Thank you for your help.

Jennie

• Posted

Hi jennie,

I had a large rectocele and had it repaired a year ago.  The recovery was slow but I took things slowly and carefully and I'm doing very well now.  I had a one year followup and they said the repair looks great.

I had quite a few unpleasant symptoms, though not that particular one.  Anything with bowel incontenance is really difficult and embarrassing.   So much so that I would only want to chat about it in PM.  Silly maybe, but there you go.  You can PM me if you like.My suggestion for sex is to use a glycerin suppository beforehand and to splint when you go to the bathroom.  I think it will help with the incomplete evacuation so that (hopefully) sex won't cause such a problem.  Pre-op I couldn't just splint pressing on the outside with TP... I had to press on the back wall of my vagina.  I ended up buying a box of exam gloves, like doctors use, and putting those on whenever I had to poo.  Not lovely but it helped.

I hope you get help soon and that the surgery helps a lot.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.