Has anyone else gone totally cold turkey off metaprolol?

Posted , 4 users are following.

What did you experience, what did you do, and how long did it take.to get clear. I ask this because anxiety is one of many things I experience that are nasty, but it is the worst.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are we talking the blood pressure med?
    • Posted

Yes, Lee. Would appreciate any info. For tonight, I'm off to bed. Will check for your answer tomorrow.

• Posted

I did sone reading. You are NEVER supposed to go off this med cold turkey. You should be under the supervision of your doctor. Google has alot on the subject. Xx
    • Posted

In desperation, I went to a doctor other that the one who said okay, go off. He told me what you did, and being an older, more experiences doc, immediately put me on clonidine. It handles the blood pressure and has a powerful anti-depressent. It is helping amazingly well. I can still feel some of the hellish stuff I was going through, but I'm on top of it now to a point I can manage. Now, I'm wondering if someone else did it this way, how long it took until it was clear.

• Posted

I take a very small dosage of metaprolol.  It's a beta blocker for high blood pressure .Beta blockers slow your heart rate down.  I've never gone off mine.  The higher beta blockers I can't take.  Slows my heart down too much and can't move.  Why did you go off?

• Posted

I was told the interaction between metaprolol and my new med was not a good combination. Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

NEVER go cold turkey from metaprolol - it needs to be done sloely, under you doctorr's supervision .

love Tess

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.