Has anyone else had this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Nine months ago, I had a full-blown episode of diverticulitis, which required a course of antibiotics to cure. For the past 3 days, I've had mild discomfort, left lower quadrant, same spot as last time, but milder. It's more a burning sensation. This time, I'm also experiencing that same feeling, intermittently, on the right side. No other symptoms at all. Has anyone experienced similiar a  experience and had it disappear with no treatment?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have had that and revert to back to my strict diet with stool softeners and sometimes laxatives to clear things out. It is a "to do" and wish things were like I was when I was younger and had a cast iron stomach. 

• Posted

Good to know that someone out there has experienced this. It is noticeable, but certainly doesn't seem like anything I'd need antibiotics for. Wondered about laxatives....maybe suppository? Seemed a bit odd that I feel it on both sides, and like I said, the pain is mild, like a 1 or 2. It's more of an annoying dull burning sensation. Hopefully no Dr. needed?.

• Posted

Yes... if you start on early and catch it before it gets full-blown you should be able to knock it out. Some people will poop pooh not going the idea of no laxatives but if it works it works. You are not doing it all the time and to not have full blown attack is worth it to me. 
  • Posted

Hi

I have had Diverticulitis for 15 years with 4 major flares, but also get mild discomfort both sides and just below my tummy button, from time to time.  (I normally know what I have eaten to trigger this.) I don't bother to go to my GP then but just be very careful about what I eat, like Sam52768. 

From day 1 my GP prescribed Fybogel, a natural fibre supplement which is also a stool thickener, softener and mild laxative.  I have taken it daily and just recently upped it to twice a day.  It keeps me regular and cleaned out, and I believe helps prevent my flare ups.  But we are all different and you should really discuss with your doctor first.  In the meantime though a cleaned out system will help to prevent inflammation and infection developing into a major flare.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Most of the time before a flaire up I just go on a fluid only diet for 24 hours to see how it goes if it's still there then another 24hrs fluid only and pain killers and if still there then go to your GP . I have to go for a scan this evening as I keep getting the pain off and on

• Posted

Hi there,Get on the Fybogel,it keeps things moving which is what you need,best thing I ever did.I used to get intermittent pain and also on my right side even though I was diagnosed with multiple diverticula on the left I'm now pain free can eat most things within reason and feel good.Your colon needs to be cleaned out and to do that it needs to be kept moving.Good luck.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.