Has anyone else ruptured both Achilles tendons at the same time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ruptured both at the same time in July 2017! Had surgery on my right August 3rd and Sept 7th om my left my ortho said he has never seen this happen at the same time. It hasn't been fun but I'm 8wks post op on my right and 4weeks on my left starting physical therapy. I have a boot on my left and finally a tennis shoe with a lift on my right. I know I have A while to go but I'm looking forward to going back to work at the end of October! Hopefully! Thanks! Any feed back is great!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Wow that's amazing. I ruptured just my left Achilles tendon 21 Dec 2016. I'm 10 months into my recovery and it was hard work. I can't imagine both ankles being injured I'm 40 years old. A complete tear while playing basketball smh. Had surgery Jan 6 2017 out of work 6 weeks then a ligh duty job at work back to normal duty at 4 months. Hard cast then boot and crutches. Physical therapy is what did it for me. My therapist pushed me and suggested swimming but exercises at home daily were really important. I raised up on one foot week 15 and they were so impressed. Week 22 I was back light jogging but I wouldn't suggest it. The throbbing and light swelling made me regret that. I walked a mile in the morning with a break and stretching every other morning until I built up the distance and speed. I would never suggest over doing the exercises it may cause set backs!! Eat healthy it promotes healing increase protein intake . Plenty of vegetables and water... all that stuff we learned growing up will pay off now about healthy eating and diet. Be aware that weight gain is normal u can't get around as effectively or as much so focus on what u eat. Swimming really helps even if it's just pacing the pool. Stay with the physical therapy for as long as possible they are like your personal cheerleaders. Good luck with everything and know the road is long and slow but definitely do-able!

• Posted

Not sure if I have ruptured Achilles but Spanish hospital indicated a tear in both after falling off my bike.

All I have been given by the Spnish Doctor is strong anti inflammatory tablets, am seeing very little progress both still swollen and cannot stand on my toes although I can move them back and fourth and am doing calf stretches, have suffered from plantar faciitis in the right heel before and can feel similiar pain.

Now five weeks since the accident and very iittle progress so am concerned

• Posted

How are you doing now? I read you mentioned you had tendon transfer on both legs. What tendons did they transfer to fix your Achilles? And why did they had to take this approach?
    • Posted

They used a tendon from my big toe. I was told my Achilles were in bad shape so they said the new tissue would help promote strength in my Achilles! I'm still in physical therapy trying to get some strength and balance in my calves! I'm doing soo much better it's been a long road! But I'm starting to see the light! Thanks for asking!😁

• Posted

I also had the same surgery 7 weeks ago. I can’t move my toes much specially the big toe. How’s your toes movement?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.