Has anyone had digestive issues due to anxiety and depression?

Posted , 7 users are following.

On July of last year my grandfather passed away of prostate cancer and on October of the same year I started to feel weird. I had the worst chest tightness that would not be relieved by anything. Now im having digestive issues. Been going to cbt therapy and just recently started on Zoloft. When am I going to be back to myself?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have digestive issues AND anxiety but which came first is like asking which came first, the chicken or the egg!!! I don't know if my anxiety causes my digestive issues or if my digestive issues give me anxiety, it is like a huge vicious circle. I've been taking medication for acid reflux most of my life and off and on anxiety meds for over 20 years. Nothing has taken it away completely, some things help more than others but everyone is different. 

• Posted

I'm in the similar case to Rachel. I'm a 33 year old who you think I'm well rounded. Though, I'm diagnosed with Anxiety, Depression, OCD, IBS, and hypochondria.

In my case both symptoms came together since I was a teenager. I was an anxious child, then I'd have bad bowel pains, and as i grew had acid reflux. Though as the years passed the symptoms switch. But the one that stayed put was the IBS. In my case, my anxiety caused it even though it someone says x, my own experience, and my doctor's diagnoses supports that. talk to your dr, have them give you IBS approved foods list to help your tummy. if you take anti depressant and add fiber filled foods or vegetables, Greek yogurt that are filled with probiotics, and probiotics supplements, your bowels will mostly go back to normal depending on the anti depressant your taking since some will cause constipation like mines (trintellix).

• Posted

Hey

I’m currently experiencing digestive issue with burning stomach and all through my lower abdomen I’m still unsure what caused my cause I was feeling anxious before hand.. so it has scared me 

• Posted

Yes I have IBS and acid reflux both can be caused by anxiety 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.