Has anyone had success using sertraline with health anxiety?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

First time posting. Basically i've had health anxiety for the last 3 years although there have been good and bad periods during that time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Sertraline to treat health anxiety with success and how many mg you were on please?

I've read positive things about Sertraline in general but wondered how effective it was at helping with health anxiety. Also did anyone experience hair loss as a side effect as that concerns me?

Thanks so much!

Em

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I'd like to know this too as I've just started for the same reasons.. what symptoms do you get with your health anxiety? my fear is my heart x

• Edited

Mine is mostly around cancers but it can be about anything if I happen to read anything upsetting about peoples health it feels as though my body starts mimicking the symptoms.

Have you started taking sertraline? x

• Posted

yes mine mimics symptoms too its awful, yes I have I'm on day 4 at 25mg and then upping to 50mg after 7 days x

• Edited

I really hope it works out well for you, i've read good things about it.

Have you had any side effects so far? x

• Posted

been feeling a bit sick on and off but that could also be my anxiety, but so far so good, hope it stays that way x

• Edited

Sertraline is Zoloft here in the states. Hair loss is listed as a very rare side effect of Zoloft. Although it has many side affects that other medications do not. If zoloft is the right medication for you, you will not have any side affects. My wife was on zoloft for 6 months and she got very angry and enraged, it was not pretty. Thats how we knew zoloft was not the right medication for her. Now if you are experiencing hair loss, i would call your GP immediately and see if he can prescribe something else. I am sure your hair loss is not good for your already heightened anxiety and you should not have to deal with that when there are so many other alternative medications which will treat your anxiety without hair loss. You are just that one in a million that has this problem with zoloft. So call your prescriber and demand something else.

• Edited

Hi David,

I haven't taken Sertraline yet, i'm struggling to find the courage to go to the doctors at the moment.

someone i know who has taken it said it was brilliant for them but did cause some hair thinning so just wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Hope your wife is doing well!

• Posted

mindfulnes, exercise and, cognative behavioural therapy is better that that god awful drug

• Posted

Why do you feel its god awful? Completely agree that you should aim to help yourself in as many ways as you can but for someone like me it feels like im running out of options and I need help to stay afloat.

• Edited

started taking it 7 days ago for the exact same reasons!! hopefully it does some good!

• Posted

Fingers crossed for you, hope you get some relief soon! 😃

• Posted

i start to feel like i have symptoms of illnesses and i end up making myself physically ill with worry and anxiety, its usually around cancers, heart problems and sexual health. its the absolute worst:( cant wait for it to get better x

• Posted

yes I'm the same, I've got all physical symptoms of heart problems, had tests and all normal but every day I'm convinced its my heart and I'm petrified its just going to pack up. it's a horrible thing to live with isnt it 😦

• Edited

The hard thing with any anxiety is that it does often make your heart race etc which doesn't help if you worry about your heart.

I hope you both have really positive results soon, got everything crossed for you! Two people i know who take it have had brilliant results from it.

• Posted

yes its horrible, and I get so many different pains and sensations and when I'm really worried I start getting pain in my arms then I convince myself it is my heart and I get twinges in my jaw, deep down I know I'm holding my jaw tense but doesn't stop me worrying. I hope these tablets work because its taking over my life x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.