Has anyone had the Itind procedure for BPH?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just heard about it in a post in a discussion on this forum. Wondering if anyone has been part the the trials in the US or had the procedure in another country, and what your experience has been.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had good luck with a urolift this June, 2016.  With only a few weeks' experience, I can only say so far, so good, pretty much completely successful with very little discomfort initially.  This iTind procedure looks promising, and I also am interested in learning more about this option, for future reference if it becomes necessary.

• Posted

Thanks for the report on urolift. I'll be curious to hear how effective it remains in the coming months. Where did you have it done?

• Posted

Suburban Detroit MI, Drs. Shetty and Bennett, through their private practice and Beaumont Urology.  I'll post here occasionally when I have anything new to report.  A couple weeks ago I had to have an unrelated surgery on a foot, and the post-op problems from anaesthesia were missing.  Several years ago the 12 hours after surgery were quite uncomfortable with urination significantly compromised, so on that facet of it the improvement is striking.  I've noticed that with the post-op oxycodone, the stream is weaker.  But it's not blocked, and I expect these symptoms to disappear as soon as I stop the meds.  With urolift I have an ID card for airport security screening--it's metal implants--and wouldn't it be nicer to avoid even than tiny inconvenience?  I'll be following your experience, and hoping you're not a placebo if it's a trial.

• Posted

I had the Urolift in December of last year.  The first few months were great, with stream returning IMMEDIATELY after surgery!  Loved the change, but it "wore off;" now, 9 months later the restriction has returned.  I saw the doctor (Steven Ganges, in Salt Lake City) ten days ago; although everything looked fine with the previous surgery, we may go for a second treatment with additional implants.  Steve did the trials for FDA approval, and has as much or more expereince than anyone else in the US.  He also teaches the procedure to other docs.  (I live in PA, and find the trips worth it.  :-)  wink

• Posted

Hey there McGillvn.  Was born in detroit but live in Orlando now.  I had the Urolift done April of 2015 Works fine very little down time.I did have a problem in december One of the inplants came lose and had to have it replace.  The reason was my prostate got smaller so my urologist went in put a new one in and tighten the other ones.  I have 4 implant and I do have a card do.  But I only ring one time when I went for Jury duty.  It is a year in a half and I am very happy with it.  No side effect and sex is still great more inteanse then when I was younger.  To many side effects with some of the others and some men don't want retro orgasm.  The new procedure looks great I hope the doctors will go for it.  Very little down time and it will open you up without any cuting .  Watch the video of the i-Tind procedure it looks very easy   It is a 5 minute procedure and provides immediate relief.  And you don't need to have a catheter like some of the other one..  I am very happy that they are working so hard to come up with new procedure that will help men out  I am going to ask my doctor in september what he thinks of it Take care  Ken 

• Posted

I signed up in early May and was assigned to Weill Cornell in NYC. I went to be screened on Aug 1 and seem to fit their parameters. Before signing up I did a lot of research. Seems to be 95% effective with very few downside risks; much less than TURP or drugs. The only problems have been one or two UTI and a few patients where the device move out of position in which case it was removed early. Only one patient that I know of has gone on to have TURP. 

I can not post a link for you but google medi-tate and iTind and you will see their website. If you drill down you will see the place to sign up and you will be contacted with a lot of information. At no time are you obligated to proceeed.

You can also google clinicaltrials  a gov website which lists all trials. Then search iTind there too.

The screening was blood test, urine tests, a TRUS (like having your temperature taken rectally) to have your prostate sized, a uroflowmetry test (urinate into a funnel with a flow meter on it, and an abdominal ultrasound to determine PVR (post void residual). All simple.

The staff at Weill Cornell were super nice and respectful making an awkward situatuon very comfortable.

Know that 2 out of 3 subjects will get the implant and 1 out of 3 will get a catherter inserted a nd removed so you think you got the implant. That is a blind control to tell if the procedure works or only tricks your mind as a placebo effect. Even if you get the placebo you will still be examined and screened for cancer or other causes and you can always go to canada to have the implant done. Seems like minor risk to me so i went forward with it.

• Posted

Do you know when you will have the procedure (or the placebo)?
    • Posted

Waiting to clear all of the blood tests then within 30 days. I will post results of the experience. But contact them and speak to Maureen the trial coordinator. Where do you live?

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

Not at the point where I'm ready to start getting serious about choosing a procedure. I recently switched to every other day Tamsulosin while taking an herbal supplement every day, and I'm still evaluating whether this will actually be workable. And I do know that there's a good chance that even if this works for a while, it could stop working at some point in the future, so I'm trying to learn all that I can about what my options might be. Most promising at this point in my research are PAE, Urolift, and now maybe iTind. 

I'm about 100 miles north of New York City, in the Catskills Mountains.

• Posted

Do not wait too long. iTind is currently recommended for up to 75ml size. Not sure why. That is why I am going forward on it. I am at 64ml and do not want to miss the window of opportunity. Also, every urologist I have spoken to likes the idea for early problems because it looks like it can be repeated if needed, however worldwide nobody has had to have it repeated and it has been in use for 5 years.

• Posted

Oh, I'm already over the limit, either 98 cc or in the 80s depending on which diagnostic was used. Hmm.

• Posted

I believe that is the limit for the clinical test. I think the idea is to get 150 similar test subjects (human lab rats) so the results can be more easily compared.
    • Posted

That would be better, not ruling larger prostates out because it's ineffective.

• Posted

I attempted Tamsulosin every other day (no Supplements) to lessen the side effects. Soon realized I need more.  After several days back on prescribed  daily dose (to recover), I tried 30 hour intervals which does mostly work ok for me.   Found that, for me, 32 hour intervals also is stretching it too far.  Also taking Finasteride daily in attempt to shrink the prostate but no change after about 9 mo of using.  Anyway, no change is better than getting worse.   32 hour would be easier to maintain and so test it every few months.  

• Posted

The every other day almost works. Sides effects (nasal congestion and persistent cough) are almost tolerable compared to every day, the effectiveness is mostly OK. Jury is still out on whether the supplements are helping. The one day that I forgot to take the supplements was an off day for the tamsulosin. It did seem like voiding was more difficult, but that could have been a coincidence.

I took Finesteride for 6 months, PSA was lower but LUTS were the same, and it may have made the side effects of the Tam worse. Doc said if symptoms haven't improved, no need to continue taking the finesteride.

• Posted

If you go to the

clinicaltrials dot gov slash ct2 slash show slash NCT02506465

You will see that there are urologists in Poughkeepsie and Syracuse who are participating. You might go to be screened to see if you are really at 98ml volume. I understand that volume measurements are variable based upon if you had a TRUS or an abdominal ultrasound. and depends upon who is reading the screen.

• Posted

Hey Rich.  I read a few of the post on the iTind  it does not say how long it will last but ever if it last 4 or 5 years you can have it done again which is better they having your prostate cut out and causing side effect that you have to deal with.  And most of the time you have to have a turp or the other done again.  Evey they don't work all the time.  I myself would rather have the iTind devive put in again They the cutting.  Have a good day  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.