Has anyone had the Itind procedure for BPH?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just heard about it in a post in a discussion on this forum. Wondering if anyone has been part the the trials in the US or had the procedure in another country, and what your experience has been.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had it done in April in Spain. I had to travel wherever I had it done, and could not find where to have it done in Canada. I wanted to try this before something more extreme. My uro suggested TURP, but I didn't want that done. The doc who did the procedure thought HOLEP would be best given my situation. I have an atonic bladder. They both thought removing any obstruction would give me the best situation. But the doc in Spain thought ITIND would be worth a shot, and can always go on to another procedure later.

i had good flow right away, but things slowed down a bit after the procedure. I think I have something else going on, probably related to the weak bladder. But when I have to really go, I have decent flow, almost like wwhen I was a teenager. 

I started taking bethanechol this week after reading about it on this forum. Supposed to help with weak bladder. I don't like it, but will try for a few weeks to see if things improve. I also take terazozin for BPH. I have tried to stop that a couple times, and it seems like the urine flow slows down each time I stop, so I start taking it again and things improve. 

Don't expect to be active when the device is implanted. I wouldn't say it's painful, but it is uncomfortable, and you know it is there. Sitting for any amount of time was uncomfortable, so I did a lot of reclining or laying down. 

• Posted

What does bethanechol, supposed to do?  My uro, told me to take it till he gets back from his trip.  I am supposed to take 3 a day, and the dossage is 25 ml. 

• Posted

Dunno that Bethanechol Chloride will solve the bladder problems, especially if it is stretched out as badly as mine  (I sometimes retain 800cc!!!) ...

THen there is this, of course:  

SIDE EFFECTS:Dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps/pain, diarrhea, increased saliva/urination, sweating, flushing, watery eyes, or headache...    You can Google for more!  :-/

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any side effects from the terazozin?
    • Posted

Terazozin is apparently its own form of fun.  Other than that, it looks just fine...  :-/

Hytrin Overview - Patient Information: Side Effects. SIDE EFFECTS: Dizziness,lightheadedness, tiredness, nausea, drowsiness, blurred vision, headache, or stuffy nose may occur.

• Posted

I do not have side effects from the terazozin (hytrin). I have been on it for two years. Before that, tamsulosin (flomax) and rapaflo. I like it much better than those. Don't get the retrograde ejaculation either.

I just started bethanechol and that is giving me lightheadedness at times. Not sure I will continue that one, but going to try it for a month.

• Posted

I think I did read that in one of the artical.  When it is in you should not move around alot because it is exspanding But if it works it was worth it.  As long as you can pee thats great.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Forgot to add, at this point I do not have to use a catheter. Before the procedure, I didn't have to use it regularly, but would need to every once in a while. Almost everytime I was on an airplane I would need to use one, for whatever reason. And I would not leave home without having one with me. Have not used them at all since. So that is a positive.

• Posted

I cath before every airplane flight, which saves me the hassle of getting abck to the WC!  Also before bedtime, which gives me a full 7 or 8 hours of sleep each and every night.  How many 67 year olds can say that???  :-D

• Posted

Easier than calculus!  :-)

It's straight forward, plus a couple of us here have tips that the nurses don't teach. And for me, it was SO much better than wearing a BAG on my leg... I cathed every time I needed to pee for 15 months, which amounted to over 2,000 times.  Almost as simple as breathing!   Only caveat is:  diligent preparation!  (Which takes only 20 seconds...)  

• Posted

Google  (self catherization kevin johnson youtube)..  That was all the instruction I had and I carefully followed that procedure.  Sterile technique is very important to avoid an infection.
    • Posted

Thanks for the link Glenn.  That said... Good GOD!  I dunno if I would have ever tried self-cathing, had I watched this!!  :-/  

(1)  Regular bathroom/household alcohol is a fine sterilizer and doesn't look weird like that dark stuff he uses.

(2)   Cleaning the head/tip area is what really matters.  Clean the shaft?  The testicals?  Can't think of a reason, so to do.

(3)  Holding the penis straight UP, and LOWERING the cath end INTO the opening avoids the need to touch /potentially contaminate the catheter.  Best to keep hands OFF the catheter tube itself!

(4)  I never jiggle the thing in; I don't know what value that serves, if any. Maybe it's fun?    Holding the penis straight out, stretching it slightly, seems useful, reduces tingling or pain while inserting.  

(5) I don't know why the post-pee sterilizing.  Pee is pee.  If you don't sterilize after a normal pee, why do so after this?

• Posted

Had never heard of it.  Google search led me to this site.

clinicaltrials dot gov slash ct2 slash show slash NCT02506465

You'll have to covert dot to . and slash to / with no spaces  

• Posted

What keeps the prostate from falling back into the pre-op position after the device is removed?
    • Posted

ischemic response. go to their website to see the video.

the wires compress the tissue and cells die of bloodlessly and painlessly like a scab falls off a cut leaving deep grooves.

• Posted

Thanks, Bobby, for explaining in terms we neophytes can comprehend.  As mentioned above,  Medi-Tate is developer of the itind procedure and they have videos etc at their web site.

• Posted

Saw your thread 4 months old and was wondering how are you now? and what has happened since?
    • Posted

J12080  This may be good for you.  I remember seeing this a few month's ago.  I don't know who does it but it seam like it would work.  I just looked it up again and watched the video.  It's a easy procedure and no side effects.  It is a option to pick from.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

I have been recounting details of my experience under a different thread. Look around for it. All in all not really very painful. Not fun, but not really painful. Just uncomfortable. If I had to do it again I would.

If you have BPH and live in the USA I would reach out to Medi-tate through their website and take the survey. If you score high enough and fit their profile then contact them and join the trial. At least you will be well examined during screening. Then you can decide to go on or leave as you wish.

• Posted

Thanks Ken,

I am on it company Bobby T mentioned has sent me a email already today and say they will call me next week. I will check it out. I don't know if itind will work for a prostate this size (125cc).

• Posted

Maureen is the coordinator in the USA. Let her know I sent you. Are you near New York?
    • Posted

I think you are on the way.  Go and find out  I think it will work on any size.  I will have to look it up and see again Take care and let me know  Ken
    • Posted

I heard that the iTind study has been expanded to prostates up to 150cc.

Did you have anything done?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.