Has anyone had the Linx Surgery and what are the results like?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 25 and have been suffering with an inflamed oesophagus and a hiatus hernia for 8 years. I've finally been offered the Nissen operation as my acid levels are at 41% on PPIs. Upon doing research I came across the LINX Surgery which is less invasive and the side effects are not as bad (from what I've read). I've managed to convince my doctor to refer to an NHS surgeon at Salford Royal who performs the surgery. As my doctor had never heard of it, it was quite the task 😒 Can anyone who has had this type of surgery, give me some kind of insight on what to expect and what the results are?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm due to have the nissen op tomorrow and will be happy to share my experience.

Just keeping my fingers crossed it works.

Lx

• Posted

Hi Louise, let me know how it goes ? of it decided not to have the LINX, I'll opt for the Nissen.

Hope all goes well

X

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Best of luck for tomorrow, I'm sure all will go well for you.

I hit 15 weeks last week after my op, no ppi since, I have been having a little bit of phlegm tho still but nothing too bad, I may have overdone it a bit yesterday I carried something I shouldn't have and now my scar tissue around my belly hurts a bit.

Let me know how you get on :-)

Margaret x

• Posted

Hi Margaret,

Did you have the Nissen or the LINX Operation?

X

• Posted

Thanks Margaret

I am at bit nervous but also looking forward to it at the same time.

Glad your recovery is going good..just take it easier!

Lxx

• Posted

Hi Margaret

I had my op on Friday and the surgeon said it was a success but I feel like crying as I am still throat clearing. This was one of the main reasons I had the op so I just hope it goes eventually.

I was kept in for three nights due to my oxygen levels being low but everything else went well and I came home without any pain relief.

I just need this throats clearing to stop 😢

Lx

• Posted

Hi Stacey

So far so good. Seem to be able to eat most things now although bananas still hurt a bit.

Still have a bit of a cough but nothing like I had before so I can cope with that.

I've not had any medication since the op and I actually feel like I am getting my life back.

Have you had your op yet?

• Posted

That's great news! Thank you for replying to me,

I've been to see the surgeon again today as I had to have more tests and he said my gullet is too weak to have the Linx which is what I had my heart set on so I'm very gutted about that.

It's looking like the Nissen is going to be the way forward but a half wrap or a 270 wrap.

I seem to read a lot of negative reviews on here about the Nissen so I'd be very nervous about it.

How long was it before you could eat solids again? Where there any other side effects?

Stacey x

• Posted

I think I have been one of the lucky ones. I had a 360 wrap and haven't had any side effects. I was able to eat normally after about 6 weeks but like I said I still have a bit of an issue with bananas. I still eat them I just have to take my time.

I had an infection in one of my wounds but that cleared with antibiotics.

I can honestly say that I made the right decision but it was the last resort for me as I couldn't go on feeling like I did.

I just hope it continues to work as I feel like I have finally got my life back.

I know it's a hard decision and my doctor advised me against the op but I'm glad I went ahead.

Keep me posted on your progress and op etc

Lx

• Posted

hi there.

have you been able to exercise? I have not heard much on any forums about running or biking post op

• Posted

Hi, your body will let you know how much exercise it can take, if it hurts then stop and wait until you can move more comfortable.
    • Posted

I haven't been back to the gym yet but have been advised I can start. To be honest I am a bit scared as my overall fitness has gone right down so need to build it up gently. I aim to go back at the weekend...just baby steps though until my fitness improves. Think those spinning classes will have to wait a few weeks haha

• Posted

Also you will find that due to your diet change you probably won't have much energy to go to the gym etc..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.