Has anyone heard of this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi people

ive had a 5 mths history of acid reflux with a cough blocked ears etc etc........I feel completely miserable.

To cut a long story short I've been on clinic today ( got a cancellation!!). 

My medical history is asthma and coeliac disease.

The consultant has said today that all my acid reflux problems steam from my coeliac disease!!!!! Apparently my pancreas isn't excreting a enzym that is needed for digestion which is causing my stomach acid amount to increase to try and digest the food which it can't so it's become a visius circle. This all makes sense to me but I'm just shocked.

ive been given steroid nose spray, an  antacid and I've got to get some enzyme and my problems should just sort!!? Anyone heard of this?

Debs 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting story. I have been to the hospital for the 4th time in 18 months. Finally the conclusion is that I don't swallow air. This means there must be something going on in my digestion. I want to do some test the upcoming month to check if I have allergies/intolerances.

​You have coeliac. Do you experience less trouble when you pay good attention to what you eat?

​And aren't there any supplements or medicine which helps  you with the digestion? For example an alternative for the pancreas enzym?

• Posted

Hi tbier I am really good with my Gf diet I never cheat as I've become so sensitive to gluten that if I had it I'd feel so rough but in a different way to the acid reflux.

Theyve told me to get some enzymes which I'm hoping will make a big difference so that I can start to feel well again.....

pic anyone can suggest a particular enzyme replacement I'd appreciate it 

Debs 

• Posted

Dear Deb,

​Are there other symptoms you get from eating gluten? Or is it mainly reflux?

​If you know more about the exact enzyme, could you let me know?

Best regards,

​Tbier

• Posted

Hi tbier,

my particular symptoms if I eat gluten are constipation for about 4 days,stomach pain, depression bloating and tiredness.

i have 2 friends who are coeliacs and their symptoms are different to mine.

The acid reflux is a result of not enough enzyme to digest my food so my stomach responds by making more acid to try and aid digestion......the excess acid results in all the problems that come with acid reflux. It all makes sense.

my husbands been to Holland and Barrett today to try and get the enzyme which is where the consultant told us to go but didn't find it yet.

its peptise enzyme when I've found it I'll let you know

if you think you may be coeliac ask for the blood test. My symptoms wherent typical of a ceoliac they keep telling me it was ibs.......only diagnosed 18 mths ago after my tiredness got worse.

Debs 

• Posted

Thanks. I'll do that test soon I think.

I went to a naturopathic docter. She adviced me Betaine HCL of Lamberts. I took them for a couple of weeks and I thought it worked, but not that much. Normal the maximum is 3 tablets a day, but if you don't feel it's working, you can increase the dose for a short period she said. I'm now taking 2 at each meal and 3 for a large meal. I have been doing this for 3 days know and the result is amazing. Almost no belching anymore and sore throat almost gone. Seems that my stomach has trouble to make enough acid. This HCL is just extra stomach acid.

But I still want to now if this from possible gluten/coeliac or something else.

• Posted

Hi Deb. Even though I don't have coeliac disease I am intolerant to wheat and find when I don't eat it my symptoms are basically gone within a few days.
    • Posted

That's interesting.

Because I'm coeliac I never have gluten......but I'm lacking the digestive enzymes.....it's all the same system isn't it ?

• Posted

Coeliacs is often linked to acid  and reflux. The enzymes may be what you need.

But your asthma symptoms, b;ocked ears and cough etc could all be attributable to reflux.

Check out the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book.

I had these symptoms and more for 50 years (though not coeliac). I was on steroidal nasal sprays, had my sinuses flushed, had my ears syringed, was tested (negatively) for all known allergies etc, etc. before discovering what the cause was. In my particular case, reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication) was the cure.

• Posted

Thankyou Barrett's. I have looked on the website already. It's very interesting reading.

Im hoping the enzymes will help as I never realised how poorly you can feel with acid reflux 

• Posted

I have acid reflux/LPR for 5 months now. Just this week, I started eating papaya every meal as source of digestive enzymes. I'm feeling some improvement on my digestion.
  • Posted

There are medications out there for reducing the amount of acid your stomach produces. It works for me. I jut found this out last week after six years of suffering. I went through ever ppi (antiacid pills) know to mankind which didn't work. Until my doctor put on another medication. email me and I'll tell you what they are. I have the slient acid reflux and gerds. No heartburn or indesgtion. I get and upset stomach, sore throat, rasy voice and a dry cough, with something in the back of my throat. I've been to several ENT's and one gastro Doc. and they all say the samething.  Good luck. It's a long road with no easy fix but it can be fix and gotten under controll. 

• Posted

I know of omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprzole, dexlansoprazole, ilaprazole, picoprazole, tenatoprazole and timoprazole amongst thhe PPIs. (These are generic names rather than trade names which differ in different countries.)

Amongst Histamine H2 Receptoe Antagonists, I know of ranitidine, famotidine, cimetidine, nizatadine, lafutidine, loxtidine, niperotidine and roxatidine. (Again generic names.)

Please let me know of any others I may have missed.

But acid suppressants do as they say, suppress acid. They may not help reflux apart from making it less acidic.

Sore throat, raspy voice, dry cough, globus (feeling like something lodged in throat) are all typical symptoms of upper-oesophageal reflux. It's the reflux that needs sorting which requires the lifestyle changes, or, if necessary, surgery.

• Posted

Yes there's others. We have sucralfate and Dexilant. Sucralfate coats the stomach and supposingly helps acid from going back up your throat. Whereas Dexilant is supposingly reduces the acic the stomach produces. At least these meds are what I'm on and they seem to be working for me. I've tried all the others for 6 years with no results not until I tried these did I get relief.
    • Posted

Thanks. Sucralfate is neither a PPI nor an H2RA but an alginate (like Gaviscon) and Dexilant is the trade name for dexlansoprazole.

It's good there are many different ones even though they are all as good as each other, because some patients tolerate one better than another - as you have discovered.

Glad you have found the right drugs to manage your condition.

• Posted

Hi.

I get symptoms very similar to yours. Dry cough, mucus dripping down the back of my throat and sometimes it can be very tickly, silent reflux, usual burning sensation in my throat.

I could only improve the symptoms by changing my diet eliminating acidic products plus products that trigger reflux. To heal the damaged lining I use linseed lissel which is very good and reduces acid at the same time.

What meds did you get to fix this nasty issue?

Thank you.

• Posted

My Doctor put on Sucralfate 1gm tablet 3x a day and at bedtime 1 Dexilant just before bed. In the evening I would take the 1 Dexilant about an hour or so before taking the last Sucralfate. The SucraIate was the very last pill I took. I  also found that taking the Sucralfate without any other meds helps a bunch. The first thing I would do in the moring very first thing is take Sucralfate long before anything else. Now that's just me. I know some folks can't take anything before they get something in their stomach and I suppose that would work as well. And I raise my head at night  about 6 inches at night. I do try not to eat foods with acid as well. I believe it's a combination of everything. But I had a nausea stomach many times after eating for 6 years , tickly back of throat, cough. No matter what I did or meds I took for 6 years worked. I told my ENT something has to change I've had enough. I suppose out of desparation he put me on these meds.  95% difference. Get your ENT on it. Try it you've got nothing to loose. I read so often since I joined here about people over and over having the same problem. Everyone was pleading for help. I told my wife I couldn't understand why a Doctor hasn't read all these post and gotten on broad and helped. And I swore to my wife if I ever found out what works or helps I'm gonna post it . I wouldn't keep it to myself. Good Luck. 

Mack.D

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up