Has anyone heard that h pylori guards us from getting reflux?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was treated from h pylori 2 years ago. Recently about 6 months ago I started having reflux, clearing my throat and caughing. I now keep it more or less under control thank dieting and ppi but searching how to cure this problem, I came across some information that actually h pylori protects us from reflux problem. Besides that I have a book written by dr George Halpern "ulcer free" where he is talking about the same thing. Is there anybody in the world who heard

about it??

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi irina

This is news to me but I will look it up. I also suffer from clearing my throat and did have reflux etc.

• Posted

Helicobacter Pilori is a bacteria, you probably now this already. I had the throat clearing last year had all the medication, and Gastroscopy. My GP was not convinced I had the bacteria mentioned above, but as I was belching like a heavy pie and beer drinker, I decided to buy some Manuca Honey, I got the dearest I could afford. Manuca Honey is a natural Antibiotic, I got +25 to begin with and would swollow desert spoonfuls. I stopped all,dairy food and kept to the strict no acid food diet. My stomach has cleared up, and my throat improved. I do have Ryhinitis, and Asthma. The Helicbactor Pilori the bacterium, causes acid in the stomach and ulcers usually follow. I think I starved the germ, of course I used prescribed meds too, not PPI they were no use, Gaviscon was advised by my doctor to buy and  Ranitidine was prescribed, and that helped too.
  • Posted

no, not in the current scientific studies..however,

with a huge amount of "definite maybes"  it was hypothesized it protects againt TB..we found too many variables in the study to validate but we are not qualified researchers... and we also know ..its "possible"...ann

• Posted

I have heard about tb as well. But I am interested in reflux.

I have found that few different studies in the USA and Germany were determined that there is relation between h pylori and reflux and cancer of esophagus. Maybe it is old or medical association changed their mind in favor of drug companies. I do not know.

I know that I have never eaten junk food, nor drank coke or eaten greasy food, fried and so on. Out of the blue one day I got this reflux and now will likely take pills till the end of my life.

• Posted

Irina,

Scientific studies either validate or debunk

google

Effects of Helicobacter pylori eradication on gastroesophageal reflux disease

conclusion: H. pylori eradication does not aggravate the clinical outcomes in terms of short-term and long-term posteradication occurrence of GERD. There is no association between H. pylori eradication and the development of GERD in the patients with different diseases, even those with GERD. claudio

• Posted

Claudio, thank you for answering. I do not know, maybe new studies did not confirm relation between the two but you never know. Obviously sientists were searching that problem. They can not understand why number of people with h pylori in the world is going down and number of people with reflux and esaufag cancer is going up.

I have an old doctor, retired surgeon from military, rarely intelligent. When I was just going to start treating h pylori, he strongly did not advise me to do that. He said he did not believe that and said that it is normal bacteria as any other in our stomach and it is there for a reason. Of course I did not listen to him.

I was very surprised when I found such information in the book and later in Internet. Though all doctors always say to me that I should not read Internet!!

• Posted

This is a study from York.a "peer reviewed" journal..meaning its reviewed by world wide scientists and they often duplicate or validate studies. Thus far, I cannot find any study that counters the york study.

Your dr was/is correct...there is a lot of "crap" on the Internet.

I consider "skeptic's" in this field to be above average...they refuse to "believe" until "its" either validated or debunked.

Before the Internet I used the Stanford Lane Medical Library for primary sources of information. Nowadays, I use various countries National Institutes of Health...and some specific journals (nutrition and gastroentrology) that I'm a subscriber.

There are open sourced primary medical web sites..

The heliocobater pylori connection to reflux has only been vaguely associated to the medicatiions used to remediate/erradicate the bacteria.

But not in your case since you've been free for a few years right?

Reflux is too difficult to diagnose cause and suggest possible remedies on a chat forum. You know the basics of process of elimimination, positioning etc.

IMO every dr in the world will prescribe an acid secretory blocker wtihout validating the patient's acid level of production.

Scientific studies do illustrate "improvement" but without follow up, its a toss up. My wife was surgically treated for ovarian cancer in 2010, then gall bladder, with atrophic gastritis, HPlori infection...no reflux. She has no current disorders except regaining lost weight. And we have done regular blood work for biomarkers since early 2011 to date.

Again, no reflux.

Again to be absolutely clear...my opinion is not readily accepted by some professionals. I went against the demands of 2 outstanding pathologists for chemo, and against our gastroentrologist for HP treatment...while we succeeded "thus far" we remain prudent with foods, supplements, exercise, and lifestyle.

I do have the utmost respect for the above dr's mentioned.

While we may have things "in common", we are "not identical twins" therefore what works for one may or may not work for another...claudio

• Posted

Heliocobater pylori infection has "risks"..Japan is a leading country that has done major studies, treatments, and annual screening for HP related conditions for all of its citizens.

There are phenotypes that can keep or supress hp, but not many...they are in the minority. China is now adopting new methods to combat this bacteria. It leads to gastritis, peptic ulcers, to IM, and then cancer.

That you had it irradicated IMO was a good thing. reflux is baby poop compared to any others. Claudio

• Posted

I did not do as much study as you did. I do not have h pylori anymore. I hate to be on ppi for the rest of my life. Though it helps together with dieting. I have no side effects as many people do. So it helps but people scare me saying that Ppi are so harmful, though doctors say they are not! 

I tried to decrease dose of ppi and it looks like it is ok for few days but then it starts getting little worse. I am not sure yet. I have been on medication for

two years now. 

So your wife was treated from h pylori and has no reflux? Was she treated with medication? I did not understand. 

I know that reflux is not that serious problem, maybe but still it affects life and make me be on medication all the time. 

I also had cancer that was surgically removed, no chemo or anything. They are checking me all the time. 

• Posted

Hplori treatments...1st...tripple therapy with the common 2 antibiotics, plus 20x2 of a ppi...FAILED...2nd treatment...my prescription, 1 antiobitoc as the first, 2nd (my choice)...and bismuth, tablets.The purpose of the ppi for hp irradication is that antibiotics don't seem to work well in a ph of 1.5 to 2???

acid reflux (ar) on plm achieve 20 to 25% improvement with PPI ( 359 with 89 :"perceived" improvement, thus 270 did not perceive improvement.)

The only one person I know personally who is on a professional medical patient forum cleared his ar over a period of 6 months with an absurdly simple protocol...not only cured his gerd, but no longer required several annual alergy injections, cleared his oral cavity ulcerations, was lactose intolerant before, and changed his qualifty of life..and this after working with medical professionals, alternative folks, diets, and witch craft over a 10 year period without results.He stressed this was a one person one protocol trial and due to so many variables, would probably not work for others.Weening is an "art" not a science...some substitute something in place of the full ppi load ..be it calcium cetrate or bismuth.. hope some of this helps..like to see you off meds too. Claudio

• Posted

Irina,

calcium citrate may have a few benefits you might want to "check out"...in a non standarized scientific study, it

showd some LES contraction improvements...and

of course it's an anti inflammatory.

btw..are you taking any other meds other than the ppi?

Claudio

• Posted

Claudio,

I have not heard about calcium citrate. I will check, thank you.

I do not take now anything else only medication for thyroid. I used to try zink carnozine since doctors diagnosed gastriti, licorice and something else. Not much. 

Still can not believe I have it, I always ate well, never bad food, no junk food ever! when I started having reflux, I was already on ppi due to my gastritus for more than a year!!! 

It seems to me doctors not always know what they are doing. They are highly educated technicians.

• Posted

wow Irina, a couple of things...didn't know you had gastritis nor were also on thyroid meds.

before going any further, are you hypo or hyper ..thyroid?

And was Gastritis associated with HPylori?

Claudio

• Posted

I had almost normal thyroid, but have big benign nodule for many years. Lately I was sent to ear and throat doctor due to reflux, who checked my blood and it was on low side thyroid so he prescribed me medication. I just started it month ago. 

About gastritis. I never had any pain but before my cancer surgery doctors did endoscopy and found gastritis and h pylori.  They said it was due to h pylori, now they say that it had nothing to do with bacteria.  I was put on ppi right away and all started. But at that time I had no idea what reflux was. I just took ppi without even knowing what it was and why it was prescribed to me. I never had any problems with my health before. All problems started two years ago. I got reflux much later 6 months ago. 

• Posted

IMO...you had helicobacter pylori induced gastritis.

You are "Hypothroid".

Hypo thyroid is associated with bone fracture. a calcium

deficiency probability. And vit d plus k2 deficiency as well.

"If" your calcium deficient, it plays a huge role in smooth muscle and skeletal muscle.

..an endocrinologist should evaluate your thyroid condition, including any deficiencies.

If you were not evaluated for HP after irradication therapy, its "a possibility" it was not efficacious. Since your on a ppi, the ubt and fecal test will not be of value...there is a new blood test that "might" be of value but your GP or pharmacist should know if...its probably "expensive" therefore there will be a reluctance to prescribe.

In summary, I cannot be of further help, you should consult with the dr's mentioned....wish you the best....claudio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.